Discuss The IET - protecting us or their profits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

about fake books:

Electrical professionals warned of fake IET Wiring Regulations on sale - The IET - https://www.------.org/policy/media/press-releases/20180924.cfm

Both I would guess.
I'm not sure a company protecting it's own interests is anything strange. I'd be the first to point out to a customer that a lower price than mine for a job may not indicate the same level of quality as my own quote.

Can someone explain how there is misinformation in the books?
"The IET is warning that following misinformation in these fake copies could be devastating for electrical professionals "
Don't the people just copy one of the original books?

maybe the fake ones are written in plain english, with a few chinese characters thrown in.

Can someone explain how there is misinformation in the books?
"The IET is warning that following misinformation in these fake copies could be devastating for electrical professionals "
Don't the people just copy one of the original books?

The fakers use scanning equipment to electronically "read" the books. Sometimes the software makes mistakes. Common to see dollar signs in place of letter S and such.
This has been potentially dangerously misleading in previous fakes when related to tables such as cable CCC and maximum Zs etc.

Then again, didn't the last genuine OSG get released with incorrect tables ?

Question is, if they can print the dodgy ones cheaper, why can't the IET?

In my experience the fakes are only marginally cheaper, and obviously there are more costs associated in creating and printing a book than copying and printing one.

Most of the updates to date have been a few additional sections to an existing document. They used to send pre release copies to members to proof read and we weren't paid to do it. The digital copy costs as much as the printed one.

The regs should be free, it forms an integral part of the legal framework and the law states that ignorance of the regs it is not an excuse for deviating from it. This is directly contrary to locking up the information behind pay-walls and making it so expensive it's not realistically available to most people.

The IET should be funded by alternative means.

The regs should be free, it forms an integral part of the legal framework and the law states that ignorance of the regs it is not an excuse for deviating from it. This is directly contrary to locking up the information behind pay-walls and making it so expensive it's not realistically available to most people.

The IET should be funded by alternative means.
Whilst it it written by the IET it is actually property of the BSI. There a hell of lot if different BSI publications which all need to be funded somehow.

Surely if you were running a small printing business and had the binding machine, you could buy a digital version and copy it over quite easily ready to print, and hey presto... away you go. If you send a pdf to a chinese firm they can send you a printed book within 7 days. so its too hard to achieve.

Reply to The IET - protecting us or their profits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net