Discuss Third year apprentice wages. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering whether I’m in the right pay scale or not, I’m at college with a lot of lads much younger than me and a lot of them are quite half soaked and are earning quite a bit more than I do. I’m not too interested in what people earned years ago being an apprentice as times have changed. I’m just simply wondering what current third year apprentices are earning or what you would pay (as an employer) for a third year apprentice?

few points to consider;

- I’m 30, I know that makes me lucky to be on an apprenticeship but at the same time my gaffer doesn’t have to worry about a 17 year old lad not turning up etc

- I’m doing well at college, distinctions in most exams and generally learning really well, just gained my 18th edition, well on track to qualifying early so should be done and dusted with the apprenticeship in about 18 months tops.

- always been punctual for work, happy to graft, enthusiastic, never really been one to moan, I turn up, do my work to a good standard and go home. my gaffer has often complimented my work and seems generally pleased.

- I drive to site or to a work colleagues house, unlike a lot of apprentices who rely on others for transport for work

- I have been offered more money at two other local companies but I don’t really want to do the dirty on my gaffer as he was good enough to take on a 28 year old apprentice. However, money is very tight at the moment with a young baby, girlfriend on maternity leave and a house and two cars to run so the offers are very tempting.

let me know what you think I warrant being paid, cheers.

Been a while since I was an apprentice but I reckon around £18k in today’s money for a 3rd season apprentice

£9.28ph when I was a 3rd year roughly 8 years ago. The JIB rate at the time I think. I was on just over £6ph as a 2nd year so felt like I'd won the lottery.

Reply to Third year apprentice wages. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net