Discuss Throttle Position Sensor in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bisio28

DIY
Reaction score
Hello to everyone, I would like to study and discover more about the throttle position sensor, more specifically the one installed on my car. The model is called "cts 4089" and it has 6 pins. From what I read from the internet the sensor outputs two different signals 0-5V that indicates the position of the accelerator pedal. My question is how I can measure this with a multimeter? How I can find the two signal wires? Thanks for the help

Looks like CTS 4089 has two potentiometers.
Suggest you use your multimeter on ohms range to check if this is correct:
View attachment 87462
This indicates pin numbers:
Thanks for the answer! I was trying out measuring the 2 signals using a multimeter and the voltage seems very unstable (the values are with the accelerator pedal not pushed). Also one is lower than the other.
How I can determine the range of the two signals (accelerator pedal up or accelerator pedal down)?
Why is the voltage so unstable?

Thanks

View attachment Signal 2.mp4
View attachment Signal 1.mp4

An analogue meter is useful for this.

If you are getting erratic and unstable readings then that could well be your problem.

I don't know the answer to your questions!
a bit of Googling suggests the accelerator down voltage would be around 3.5–4.7 volts.
The document I linked to mentions the accelerator up voltages, (0.7v) which are very low compared to your readings.

I was suggesting that, with the car not running, and the sensor disconnected, you measure the resistance values as you operate the throttle, for each of the potentiometers. If those are erratic you surely have a faulty sensor.

I see you have also posted your question in a motoring forum - hope you have more luck there!

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to your questions!
a bit of Googling suggests the accelerator down voltage would be around 3.5–4.7 volts.
The document I linked to mentions the accelerator up voltages, (0.7v) which are very low compared to your readings.

I was suggesting that, with the car not running, and the sensor disconnected, you measure the resistance values as you operate the throttle, for each of the potentiometers. If those are erratic you surely have a faulty sensor.

I see you have also posted your question in a motoring forum - hope you have more luck there!
Thank you I will try that and share an update later today!

I was able to find out thanks to this pdf: fispa.it/sites/all/files/allegati/84.2081_Ita_Eng_(99.8001).pdf the two signal cables, I was wrong when I did the measurements that's why the voltage did not make sense and was not stable.
For everyone who has and wants to know the signals of the CTS 4089 throttle position sensor I will share it in this post:
  • Singal 1 (APP 1): Pin 2 and 6, Signal range measured(0.31 V no accelerator pushed - 1.74 V accelerator pushed all the way down)
  • Signal 2 (APP 2): Pin 2 and 5, Signal range measured(0.62 V no accelerator pushed - 3.42 V accelerator pushed all the way down)
Thanks again for the help!

I was able to find out thanks to this pdf: fispa.it/sites/all/files/allegati/84.2081_Ita_Eng_(99.8001).pdf the two signal cables, I was wrong when I did the measurements that's why the voltage did not make sense and was not stable.
For everyone who has and wants to know the signals of the CTS 4089 throttle position sensor I will share it in this post:
  • Singal 1 (APP 1): Pin 2 and 6, Signal range measured(0.31 V no accelerator pushed - 1.74 V accelerator pushed all the way down)
  • Signal 2 (APP 2): Pin 2 and 5, Signal range measured(0.62 V no accelerator pushed - 3.42 V accelerator pushed all the way down)
Thanks again for the help!
Well done for getting to the bottom of it.
I obviously made a mistake with the pin-out numbering; sorry if that confused you ?

Reply to Throttle Position Sensor in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net