Discuss THWN-2 defect, nylon sheath delam in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

TMarkee

DIY
Reaction score
What would cause the nylon sheath to delaminate from the

Attachments

• IMG_4212-compressed.png
    225.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4213-compressed.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
This might be one for one of the USA based folks such as @Megawatt to comment on as that sort of cable is not really seen in the UK, etc.

However the most obvious reason is faulty manufacturing. Have you contacted the supplier or manufacturer?

Even if it is years old it should spool out OK (unless subject to abuse such as storage in extreme temperatures, or near solvents, etc).

Cant be sure but could it be that the outer layer of the cable has degraded because of UV from sunlight.
otherwise it could just be a reel of faulty cable.

What would cause the nylon sheath to delaminate from the
I have seen wires pulled into conduit that actually peel the plastic wrap back like that. You mentioned that it come off the reel like that so the supplier would probably give you different wire but then you would have to pull it out and replace it. I wouldn’t think that it would be worth the effort to repull the wiring. I have actually seen worse. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

This might be one for one of the USA based folks such as @Megawatt to comment on as that sort of cable is not really seen in the UK, etc.

However the most obvious reason is faulty manufacturing. Have you contacted the supplier or manufacturer?

Even if it is years old it should spool out OK (unless subject to abuse such as storage in extreme temperatures, or near solvents, etc).
This is brand new cable from Zhejiang permanent cable in China 22 days after manufacture and 2 days after delivery. Normally I wouldnt go to China for this product but the project location is in Cambodia and geographically much closer.
I immediately contacted them and they are making excuses as to why it is not their fault. Yes we are in a dispute. We have 400 m x 2 spools already pulled and 98% delaminated.
If anyone can offer more insight into why it is defective or could point me to an independent testing lab or other manufacturer for a written assessment it would be appreciated.

I have seen wires pulled into conduit that actually peel the plastic wrap back like that. You mentioned that it come off the reel like that so the supplier would probably give you different wire but then you would have to pull it out and replace it. I wouldn’t think that it would be worth the effort to repull the wiring. I have actually seen worse. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
This is being hung overhead and is put up resting on pole as it is rolled out and then secured with purpose built hardware.
Yes, the labor and effort involved in replacement is high. Thanks

It looks like the supplier had it actually stored outside. I guess that is what it looked like before you installed it.
No, that is at our location. Manufacturer produced and shipped new cable, they said. That is at the end of spool and just wanted to show how some was delaminating even before it came of the roll.
My understanding is that THWN-2 is outdoor approved for exposed runs. Is this correct?

No, that is at our location. Manufacturer produced and shipped new cable, they said. That is at the end of spool and just wanted to show how some was delaminating even before it came of the roll.
My understanding is that THWN-2 is outdoor approved for exposed runs. Is this correct?
Yes, according to Eland Cables:

It would be worth talking to Intertek. They have an office in Cambodia, though their cable experts/labs may be somewhere else in the world!
We called Intertek in Cambodia. They said they dont do that testing here and could offer no other information on who else to call. Maybe I will try their main number.
I have also reached out to UL with no response and sent several emails to Neetrac and Eland in UK with no responses yet after 4-5 days.
All ideas appreciated.

We called Intertek in Cambodia. They said they dont do that testing here and could offer no other information on who else to call. Maybe I will try their main number.
I have also reached out to UL with no response and sent several emails to Neetrac and Eland in UK with no responses yet after 4-5 days.
All ideas appreciated.
Sorry to hear you didn't get much help. I have used Intertek in the UK and Europe for compliance testing and found them helpful and reasonable value. The difficulty is finding the right people to talk to, and I suspect it will take both effort and time which you might not have. 🤔

Try BASEC

Yes THWN is approved for outdoor and wet locations.

Reply to THWN-2 defect, nylon sheath delam in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net