Discuss To trim or not to trim? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've just installed a new LED light. I used to have a 2d fluorescent which was in when I moved in, but that flicker they're prone to was too much, especially as I'm epileptic and the medication increases sensitivity to light too. Council would not do out to it so I took matters into my own hands! I know what I'm doing, honestly.

As the new light is positioned a bit differently (in fact is much more in the centre, the other was way off), I have ended up with lots of slack, as the hole for the wires to come through is right next to the connection terminals. Whereas on the other light it had about the right amount of slack, because the hole for the wires to come through where further away than the other ones are.

Now my 'OCD; is kicking in lol, I do have a thing for making sure things are done neat and complaining when they're not lol. I'm wondering if I should trim these down? But doing that would stop me from being able to put the old light back in if I ever need to. If I can get away with it then I might just leave them and put a tie wrap around the wires and stick them to the side.

Attachments

• To trim or not to trim? 20190702_185518 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190702_185518.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 114
By the way that wiring is crap in my eyes lol, theoretically fine though it's just to test it. That's council style wiring. I will sort it out properly/neater soon like all that bare copper that's showing and put it to rest shortly. Be putting new earth sleave on CPC as well. Got 100m of it from a while ago.

I'll upload a picture of the 'attempt' before I put it to rest lol. Just more of a rushed job really if anything this. I wouldn't leave it like that. I left the wires the way they already were (council employee style lol).
Just debating whether to cut them all the way down to the point where there's just about the right amount of slack. Or leave them the same lengths and just cut the bare copper down, like it bloody should be lol.

It's only a bathroom light, no looping was involved.

Yeah it's a LAP. As long as it does for now. Is that a common issue with irreplaceable panel LED lights?

Edit: Should have come here and asked for a recommendation first lol. Nevermind.

Last edited:
I've neatened it up so theres no bare copper showing or anything now (council, the bloody t***s). I've put new earth sleaving on CPC and made it the actual right amount of bare copper on them so there's none bare showing. I didn't cut down the wires, just in case there ends up not being enough wire for the next light if/when I put the next one in. I put a tie wrap around them and it looks like it will be more than fine.

I've installed electrics from when I were 15, like cookers, lights and sockets which are still going now and I'm 26.

I've neatened it up so theres no bare copper showing or anything now (council, the bloody t***s). I've put new earth sleaving on CPC and made it the actual right amount of bare copper on them so there's none bare showing. I didn't cut down the wires, just in case there ends up not being enough wire for the next light if/when I put the next one in. I put a tie wrap around them and it looks like it will be more than fine.

I've installed electrics from when I were 15, like cookers, lights and sockets which are still going now and I'm 26.
where's the "after" photo?

Bit overdue, but here are the photos. Much better than the councils work. Put new sleaving on and trimmed the cable a bit, not much though. Just neater basically.

Attachments

• To trim or not to trim? 20190706_205558 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190706_205558.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 46
  • To trim or not to trim? 20190706_212741 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190706_212741.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 45
  • To trim or not to trim? 20190706_212842 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190706_212842.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Cut a bit of sheath from a bigger cable and sleeve it over, or use elastoplast, self- amalgamating rubber tape, a bit of inner tube, heat shrink, or just leave it, frankly

As you say, you don't want to be cutting the wires back if the other fitting may need putting back at some point in the future.

A bit of sleeving over the wires where they go through the hole in the metal back plate would be worthwhile though as suggested above.

Reply to To trim or not to trim? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock