Discuss Toyota 2H alternator output in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I’ve got a 1985 HJ75 Toyota Landcruiser with a 2H 4.0 diesel. I’m having problems with either the alternator or the external regulator. Can anyone please help me with what the output should be at the alternator and also the output at the regulator? Both the alternator and regulator are new and before I send them back I need to diagnose which it is. Thank you in advance

Hi,if this is a 12V model,with the separate voltage regulator,remote to the generator,i would do your testing at or after the reg.

Is it the four connection reg? You should have one of those going to the dash charge light....is it functioning?

If you describe the particular fault,it will assist in diagnosing....albeit tentatively... :)

Hi,if this is a 12V model,with the separate voltage regulator,remote to the generator,i would do your testing at or after the reg.

Is it the four connection reg? You should have one of those going to the dash charge light....is it functioning?

If you describe the particular fault,it will assist in diagnosing....albeit tentatively... :)
Hi yes it is 12v. It has and external regulator with the four pin connection.
Ok basically what is happening, it’s more noticeable at night with my headlights on but you can see them dim then light back over and over again which tells me there’s is a charge issue. Which is why I want to find the voltage output of both the alternator and regulator to see which one is causing this

Also a clue to your previous problem ; if you had one , that required the replacements . The fault could be in the harness or with the earth connections.

Hi,right,the first thing to determine,is if the drop in headlamp brightness,is due to a reduction in alternator output,or a separate issue,such as an additional load somewhere,either expected or random.
It could even be isolated to the headlamp circuit,or something like a bad battery or earth connection,or even a relay.

Due to the intermittent nature of your symptoms,it may be necessary to rig a volt/ammeter so they can be read in real time.

Any other electrical issues? battery flat/hot...blown lamps...other variations,wiper speed,etc

Reply to Toyota 2H alternator output in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net