Discuss Training in Northern Ireland as a 'mature' learner. in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net

nicebutdim

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hoping that someone can provide advice about entering the industry. I know there are many similar threads, but I'm looking for advice specific to training in NI.

It's a struggle to find courses which aren't limited to those aged 16-24 and serving an apprenticeship. I'm mid 40s and self-employed, so need to continue earning a wage. I'd hoped to get through level 2, then find work as a spark's mate to get through level 3, but can not find any courses that would let me do this. What's most frustrating is that I was advised last year to go this route, yet after waiting a year the option doesn't seem to exist.

I'd prefer not going down the route of short courses or distance learning, but am struggling to find an alternative. I understand why most resources go toward training young people, but surely some options exist for mature learners who are prepared to fund their own training?

What is you background / experience?

Maybe you could just try approaching a few local firms to see if they will take you on as a mate/apprentice arrangement so you get paid while learning?

The only alternative to an Apprenticeship is, I believe, an Adult Traineeship. Essentially this is very similar to an Apprenticeship. I'm not sure how you can apply for it or what funding (if any) is available.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

What is you background / experience?

Maybe you could just try approaching a few local firms to see if they will take you on as a mate/apprentice arrangement so you get paid while learning?

Background was in mechanical & electrical engineering, but I was more keen on working than studying and didn't complete any formal qualification, beyond GCSE level. Over the years I've worked at many things, but spent most of that time self-employed - buying and selling whatever best paid the bills.
[automerge]1591118816[/automerge]
The only alternative to an Apprenticeship is, I believe, an Adult Traineeship. Essentially this is very similar to an Apprenticeship. I'm not sure how you can apply for it or what funding (if any) is available.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Some help is better than none at all, so any advice or direction is appreciated. Unfortunately the closest Adult Traineeships currently offered are in power distribution or specific engineering sectors.

It is likely that local colleges offer courses according to demand and that apprenticeships provide more than enough trainees to fulfill local demand for electricians. I really am reluctant to go down the route of short courses or distance learning (for a number of reasons), but it seems they might provide the only means of getting a foot in the door.

Last edited:
Quick question if anyone has the answer...

Course now available locally for EAL level 2 Electrical Installations. If I completed this level 2 EAL course, could it be used to move onto C&G 2365 level 3 if necessary or would I have to continue to level 3 with EAL?

It's what I'd been looking for originally, but had disappeared from the college's curriculum and couldn't manage to speak to anyone from the relevant department.

My only concern is being able to go from EAL level 2 to C&G level 3 if it was necessary to do so. That and finding the college closed again due to coronavirus.

It's what I'd been looking for originally, but had disappeared from the college's curriculum and couldn't manage to speak to anyone from the relevant department.

My only concern is being able to go from EAL level 2 to C&G level 3 if it was necessary to do so. That and finding the college closed again due to coronavirus.
Its been a long time for me, but I am of the understanding that EAL level 2 is just as recognised as C&G level 2,maybe some of the younger lads could advise.

Try contacting some of the bigger local electrical firms.

I know work is thin on the ground currently.

Personally I would rather see a mature worker sent to site than some of the apprentices I have seen lately. They are more interested in either smoking or on the phone and wouldn't know a piece of tray if it hit them round the chops.

Plan is to get level 2 under my belt and then see about trying to get a bit of experience. Studied a fair amount of theory many years back and have reasonable practical abilities, but thought a better grounding in the basics might make me more useful on site. Obviously I'd be asking a lot of questions regardless, but prefer the idea of only needing to be told something once.

The other issue is they've only advertised the course as full time this year, whereas previously there was a part time option. I'll try to have a chat with them and see where we can go from there.

I'd been looking at SERC Lisburn, but the courses for September had disappeared from their website.

I'd spoken to someone from there last year about their part time level 2 course as their website showed plenty of available spaces, but apparently there weren't any.

Earlier this year I'd been watching for September's courses appearing, so as not to miss out again, and called them as soon as those courses appeared. I didn't get through to the relevant department, but was told that someone would call me within a week or so. It was during the lockdown, so I wasn't going to hassle them when things were up in the air and a few days later the course disappeared from the website.

That's what pushed me towards looking at distance learning, after starting this thread to see if there were options I'd missed somewhere in NI - I don't like the idea of a condensed short course due to time limitations (along with cost of travel and accomodation) and felt distance learning might offer a better opportunity to fully grasp subject matter, rather than simply trying to grasp enough to pass exams.

The course now showing on SRC's website is full time and it's unclear whether that's over 1 or 2 years, so I'll give them a call tomorrow to see how the land lies. I think the full time course is only 1 or 2 days a week, so could work around that. Whether it be locally or through distance learning (with a trip across the water for practicals) I'd like to get level 2 under my belt and then see about getting some work in the industry (even part time at first) while I work toward level 3. Who knows what'll happen? Sometimes things work themselves out and sometimes they're a b*ll ache.

Contact the electrical training tust (ETT) in Ballymena as they might have some guidance for you.
[automerge]1598949203[/automerge]

Had an interesting and informative chat. Turns out that level 2 course isn't running this year, but was given some ideas and options to think about alongside the previous plan.

As above ETT are probably going to be the most knowledgeable and helpful. Colleges here seen to be solely interested in money, and I believe they make more off young apprentices. Apart from that level 2 and 3 are the right way to go, never heard or a short course here and never met anyone that's done one.

I'm not aware of any short courses in NI and I'm loathe to undertake one due to their very tight time constraints and the considerable additional costs involved with travel to GB and also accommodation.

If no college courses are available locally, which seems to be the case this year with limitations placed on colleges due to coronavirus restrictions, distance learning from one of two available providers would be my preferred fallback option. It seems that the pace of distance learning is dictated by the student, which would allow for a firmer understanding of subject matter before progressing from one module to the next. Practicals still require travel, but a week or two is no great hardship.

I don't want to post too much details of the of the conversation I had on a public forum as it involved progression of mature candidates, dependant upon experience and some other factors. It was enlightening and,we're it not for the current situation, I'd probably now be enrolling at a local college. I'll defintely speak to ETT before commiting to anything, but ongoing searches of local colleges still haven't thrown up any promising results.

Had an interesting and informative chat. Turns out that level 2 course isn't running this year, but was given some ideas and options to think about alongside the previous plan.

Hi,
Im in a similar scenario now and on the lookout for what route to take. Just wondering if you can tell me what route you took or what the options were?

Thanks

Hi,
Im in a similar scenario now and on the lookout for what route to take. Just wondering if you can tell me what route you took or what the options were?

Thanks

If you're wanting to go the apprenticeship route, then SERC is the only college that will take adult apprentices - unless other regional colleges have changed their policy in the last couple of years.

Do you have any experience and, if so, how much? This might open other options to you. What age are you?

There are options to gain qualifications through short courses or distance learning in GB, but I was resistant to this (as anything other than a last resort) as I think the industry here is less open to that route than it is in GB.

If you're wanting to go the apprenticeship route, then SERC is the only college that will take adult apprentices - unless other regional colleges have changed their policy in the last couple of years.

Do you have any experience and, if so, how much? This might open other options to you. What age are you?

There are options to gain qualifications through short courses or distance learning in GB, but I was resistant to this (as anything other than a last resort) as I think the industry here is less open to that route than it is in GB.
I'm 33. I was more thinking the short courses route as I work full-time. I work wiring electrical switchgear panels and get on pretty well at it, but there are no qualifications involved in this.

Reply to Training in Northern Ireland as a 'mature' learner. in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net