Discuss Training in Northern Ireland as a 'mature' learner. in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm 33. I was more thinking the short courses route as I work full-time. I work wiring electrical switchgear panels and get on pretty well at it, but there are no qualifications involved in this.

You'd have to travel to GB for a short course or perhaps distance learning, with travel only required for practical assessments.

I considerd the latter as a last resort, but pushed for three years to get a college place. I reckoned it could be very difficult to earn a living over here after a short course, unless you just want a qualification and plan on sticking with work you currently do.

You'd have to travel to GB for a short course or perhaps distance learning, with travel only required for practical assessments.

I considerd the latter as a last resort, but pushed for three years to get a college place. I reckoned it could be very difficult to earn a living over here after a short course, unless you just want a qualification and plan on sticking with work you currently do.
Tha

I considerd the latter as a last resort, but pushed for three years to get a college place. I reckoned it could be very difficult to earn a living over here after a short course, unless you just want a qualification and plan on sticking with work you currently do
Im in two minds what to do, but still leaning towards the short course route. My workplace has offered me an apprenticeship at college starting this year (lasting 4 years) but it would mean going onto a set lower wage for the 4 years. I would still be doing the same work I'm doing now and at the end be qualified. I was thinking the short course route does the same theory work but only faster as you are not restricted to 1 day a week of class. Doing it this way I can stay on my wage and complete sooner allowing me to progress to different areas if the opportunity arises. Is there a reason it would be difficult to earn a living here after the short course route? Thanks for replying too 👍

Tha

Im in two minds what to do, but still leaning towards the short course route. My workplace has offered me an apprenticeship at college starting this year (lasting 4 years) but it would mean going onto a set lower wage for the 4 years. I would still be doing the same work I'm doing now and at the end be qualified. I was thinking the short course route does the same theory work but only faster as you are not restricted to 1 day a week of class. Doing it this way I can stay on my wage and complete sooner allowing me to progress to different areas if the opportunity arises. Is there a reason it would be difficult to earn a living here after the short course route? Thanks for replying too 👍
It’s not really recognised here. I can’t see any employer taking you on with it unless your current employer is willing to. You could always try and go out on your own in domestic work I suppose

It’s not really recognised here. I can’t see any employer taking you on with it unless your current employer is willing to. You could always try and go out on your own in domestic work I suppose
If you complete all the necessary courses and attain the gold card surely that has to be recognised? or am i understanding it wrong? 👍

The qualification would be recognised, but that's about it. Thousands spent with no prospects beyond current employment. The other route might mean less money for a few years, but opens all sorts of doors.

I guess much depends on whether OP wants to have a certificate or broadened employment opportunities. It's a tough choice to give up everything and start again, but I have no regrets about doing it a decade later than OP.

Qualifications will certainly be recognised, but to what ends?
Yeah I know what you mean. Do you think though that it will be any different if i complete a 4 year apprenticeship whilst working at my current company or 2 years in short courses whilst working at my current company all whilst doing the same work in both scenarios? (Sometimes its hard to come across right on txt) Do you think doing an apprenticeship opens more doors even though it would be done within the same company as im in doing the short courses?
Im trying to get as much info and insite before committing to anything so cheers again 👍

Yeah I know what you mean. Do you think though that it will be any different if i complete a 4 year apprenticeship whilst working at my current company or 2 years in short courses whilst working at my current company all whilst doing the same work in both scenarios? (Sometimes its hard to come across right on txt) Do you think doing an apprenticeship opens more doors even though it would be done within the same company as im in doing the short courses?
Im trying to get as much info and insite before committing to anything so cheers again 👍

Experience within the same role will be limited and, no matter what route you take, you're going to have to break out of that role in some way in order to complete the NVQ. Without NVQ, you can not sit AM2.

Either route can ultimately lead to the same qualifications, but one is widely recognised and the other (on this side of the Irish Sea) is not.

There is one other option, which is the experienced worker assessment. You could speak to a local college about this, but I'm not sure what the entry requirements are as far as (breadth of) experience is concerned.

There is one other option, which is the experienced worker assessment. You could speak to a local college about this, but I'm not sure what the entry requirements are as far as (breadth of) experience is concerned.
Yeah I must ring and ask what options are available. Hope I get the ball rolling with something soon. Are you now qualified?

The qualification would be recognised, but that's about it. Thousands spent with no prospects beyond current employment. The other route might mean less money for a few years, but opens all sorts of doors.

I guess much depends on whether OP wants to have a certificate or broadened employment opportunities. It's a tough choice to give up everything and start again, but I have no regrets about doing it a decade later than OP.
Very true, I meant by employers and companies though. I’ve never met or heard of a domestic installer here and I’d be worried it would be a lot of money spent with no real prospect of any return.

Yeah I must ring and ask what options are available. Hope I get the ball rolling with something soon. Are you now qualified?

2 years into an apprenticeship. Strange starting from the very bottom, but that's how I decided it was best to approach this. Spent some time preparing for the financial hit, which helped limit that blow, but I'm not going to lie and tell you it would be easy.

What worried me about with regard to employment in NI, and the point I'm trying to make here, was the very real possibility of going the short course route and struggling to find any new opportunites afterwards.

Finding an apprenticeship (both college place and employer) was far from easy, but it has worked out well. Provided nothing changes drastically, I've no intention of moving from the company I'm with.

Reply to Training in Northern Ireland as a 'mature' learner. in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net