Discuss Private Jobs whilst Employed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice from the wider audience / those who may have done similar before.

I entered the game a bit later / in a non conventional manner, so deciding what I can and can't do isn't as black and white as if I'd done apprenticeship route. I work as a Maintenance Electrician in commerical (public sector sort of buildings). As usual, colleagues / staff at the locations I work sometimes ask about electrical work at home. I generally try and deaf it out, as I don't really want to get involved.

However more and more, I get asked - and it's starting to seem like it may be worth my while looking into doing this. For example, just had a conversation with a lady who is struggling to pin an electrician down: to repair a light that's fallen out the ceilong, wire in her new cooker to an existing CCU, replace an IP rated socket and tidy up some loose t&e. She's more than happy to pay well over £300 for this - and is more than happy for me to do a day at the weekend or evening on it. I've not had a look but I've seen photos - on the front of it it all seems very reasonable.

However being me, I want to do things "properly". I've looked at the relevant PLI and Indeminity insurance - which all seems very affordable. I have an accountant in the family so no problems with that side of things. Because a lot of my learning was self-funded, I of course have an MFT (I bought a little Di-Log a few years ago but it got me through my 2391) - it needs recalibration but again, this cost and that of the insurance would be covered just by doing this one job. I haven't yet been asked to do anything notifiable. So not considering 'scam' membership at present - the requests I've had are usually typical householder things like replacing lights, installing new appliance to an FCU, the odd addition of an extra socket or light in the attic etc.

I suppose my question is "am I qualified to do this sort of work"? I've 18th Edition, 2391 Inspection & Testing and have my NVQ3 Experinced Worker (got it before they required L2) - however haven't done my AM2. I'm about to change role and hope to have my new employer assist me on this - but at the moment don't have it.

Nothing I can find suggests I can't do this sort of "basic" domestic work - and it seems it could prove like some handy extra beer tokens. Just wondered if I've missed anything? I need to read the insurers smallprints but otherwise.....is there a problem?

considering you work for a company that you are insured with them ,to start on somebody property you will not be insured.
has you say what you have got E.g. city a guilds .
to go down that route you will need public liability& indemnity has well .
some time is it worth it for a couple of crates of beers .

considering you work for a company that you are insured with them ,to start on somebody property you will not be insured.
has you say what you have got E.g. city a guilds .
to go down that route you will need public liability& indemnity has well .
some time is it worth it for a couple of crates of beers .
Yes as above all this is considered and I've priced up. Seems viable but was more asking about things I may not have considered

If it’s just little diy jobs, replacements etc, it could come down to you just “doing a favour” for a mate.

Anything that includes running new cables, changing a fuse board, adding to an existing circuit…. Could all be deemed as certifiable works… but not changing a light fitting

If it’s just little diy jobs, replacements etc, it could come down to you just “doing a favour” for a mate.

Anything that includes running new cables, changing a fuse board, adding to an existing circuit…. Could all be deemed as certifiable works… but not changing a light fitting
Yeah I'm more than happy with the odd "favour for a mate" - it's just that I'm getting asked more and more by "acquaintances" now - or people I come across at work. If it's my own mate of years I'm not fussed. Just feel I need to be careful with people I come across who want stuff doing but don't really know that well...

Pretty much every tradesperson does private work when they are employed but there are always risks.

Some things you may not have considered are:

Does your employment contract allow you to do this?

If you suffer an injury whilst doing private work that prevents you from doing your normal job where will you stand with your normal job?

I think the largest issues in your case aren't technical or business ones, they're reputational ones. Let me explain - so for example the lady that you mention above and you agree to do something for her privately. You attend and for whatever reason there end up being some issues, whether in or out of your control doesn't really matter, but she feels that she's been let down or 'had' in some way (because, that's what happens....) So she now no longer holds you (rightly or wrongly) in high regard, but yet, the week later there you are again in the corridor of her office doing the same job - except now it's not you who's reputation is being looked at, it's the reputation of your employer for employing you and being on that site.

So for that reason I would say mates, family etc absolutely go for it - widen your horizon and pad out your wallet, but people who are effectively clients already (to your employer) should be given a wide berth.

I would side with @Rockingit here: no issue for occasional mates/family job when its not much money and more of a favour, but keep well clear of any work that your employer might expect to get via the front door.

If you are considering leaving their employment and going it alone full-time then its a different deal, but again be careful not to be seen using anything like a list of their clients for your marketing, etc.

Same as if you suffered an injury doing any other tasks… like breaking a leg playing sports or crashing a car…. Statutory sick pay.

It's actually not as those are accidents outside of work, if you suffer an injury whilst working for someone else or doing private work then that's a bit different as the sick pay should be paid by the person employing you at the time of the injury.

Reply to Private Jobs whilst Employed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net