Discuss Advice to go self employed now ive complete my AM2S in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Completed my AM2s start of this year.

My whole career plan is to run my own company/sole trader. Be my own boss basically.

I always get asked when I will be able to sign stuff off. So, I believe this is when I get a company setup and become a member of the competence persons scheme, is this correct is this hard/long time consuming to do. Can this be done while still being employed by another company? ultimately this is my goal and I want to be able to go do a consumer unit change/install a new circuit and be able to test my work and fill out the certificate and be compliant/within law.

I also have a friend of mine who wants a 3phase sockets installed in his workshop. Currently am I able to go install these sockets, test and fill out certificate as it’s an industrial unit doesn’t conform with Part P? So, i don’t need to be registered with a competence persons scheme? Just need to be qualified like I am now.

All I’m after is a bit of advice and confirmation that I have the correct understanding.
unfortunately, I cannot have these conversations with my fellow colleges/boss as I would most other questions, I have… Don’t think he would be too impressed with the idea of my going leaving the company.

Any advice or input would be the most help full!
Thank you, RJ

Need to get your EAL 600/4337/4 and 603/2625/6 next or c&g equivalent. Think those are the right codes for initial verification, and inspecting. Registering with a cps is optional and only required for some domestic elements, new circuits, consumer unit replacement, work in a zone in a special location.

Need to get your EAL 600/4337/4 and 603/2625/6 next or c&g equivalent. Think those are the right codes for initial verification, and inspecting. Registering with a cps is optional and only required for some domestic elements, new circuits, consumer unit replacement, work in a zone in a special location.
I assume these are the quivalent to the C&G testing and inspecting 2391 i hear everyone mention?

I my company are planning on putting me through that this year, so as it stands without this qualification i cannot certify with building controll?
Without atleast initial verification, your not qualified to test and commision your own work, even if it isn't notifiable to building control.

I assume these are the quivalent to the C&G testing and inspecting 2391 i hear everyone mention?
No the C&G holds more weight

Without atleast initial verification, your not qualified to test and commision your own work, even if it isn't notifiable to building control.
Okay, i mean it make sense. I thought once I complete my AM2 that was all good to go and nothing stops me starting up independently. So, once I get my 2391 or equivalent, I am then in a good position to go off by myself, register with a CPS and run along by myself?

Doesn't matter a bollox if hes setting up by himself, both equivalent on the cps joining criteria
yes I totally agree either will be surfice, but I answered his question truthfully, the C and G does hold more weight, after all we are here to answer questions truthfully

Back in the day C&G were considered the Gold standard amongst employers.

As a sole trader it doens't really make any difference these day, so long as you get your PartPee / Domestic Installer / Full Scope

In my experience being a sole tarder is 50% being a decent sparks & 50% being good at business

I always get asked when I will be able to sign stuff off. So, I believe this is when I get a company setup and become a member of the competence persons scheme, is this correct is this hard/long time consuming to do. Can this be done while still being employed by another company?
As long as you hold all the bits of paper, have public and professional liability insurance, a calibrated MFT and a cheque book it isn't hard to join a CPS. I don't see any immediate reason why you can't get this under way while employed by someone else unless there is something in your terms of employment.
Being honest and realistic, getting a business established with tools, equipment, and stock to tackle most jobs that may come your way is a learning curve in itself and for the first few months I was perpetually spending much more money than I was earning in order to be able to take on jobs. It does get better though as eventually you are setup for a reasonable range of work.

In my experience being a sole trader is 50% being a decent sparks & 50% being good at business
THIS!

You will find the paperwork to run a business tedious and time-consuming but it has to be done. Stuff has to be ordered, bills paid, salary paid, HMRC paid, and most importantly of all, invoices have to be sent out promptly and chased up if unpaid after a moderate time.

If you have a partner who can help out it will be a massive advantage!

THIS!

You will find the paperwork to run a business tedious and time-consuming but it has to be done. Stuff has to be ordered, bills paid, salary paid, HMRC paid, and most importantly of all, invoices have to be sent out promptly and chased up if unpaid after a moderate time.

If you have a partner who can help out it will be a massive advantage!
Doing prices & invoices & chasing up money and doing test paper work is the bit I hate. Hence why 99% of my work is now hourly rate and most jobs no more than 3 days maybe 4 days. The invoice goes straight in now the minute I get home.
X amount of hours + materials.
I think most people going self deployed serioulsy under-estimate the time invloved in being a Sole trader

Reply to Advice to go self employed now ive complete my AM2S in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net