Discuss Trenching and groundwork in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
For a sparky, I seem to be spending an awful lot of time with a spade in my hand at the moment. With jobs becoming increasingly tight for budget, and the need to reduce subby costs wherever possible, something that's a fixed-price job and only a couple of hours digging I'm tending just to get on and do.

Is this a worrying trend? Are others doing similar?

I think it can be counterproductive to do this kind of work yourself if you could be earning your hourly rate elsewhere. It's a fine line I suppose because if you don't have much work it would be saving you some money by doing your own donkey work. The other flip side is that time might be better spent marketing and generating new work if you're quiet so I guess there's no right or wrong.

No, for me. Currently laying in ducting to carry CCTV cables. I sort of don't mind (in fact I think I secretly quite enjoy it and I just count the extra exercise towards my gym routine!) but it's just a little disconcerting when the brickies and and 'proper' groundworkers on site see you with a spade and barrow and a sweat on your brow.....sets a very bad precident!!!

Digging sorts the men from the boys IMO.
And i still charge standard hourly rate for doing it , so no loss of earnings whilst doing unskilled work.
As you say , good exercise lol.

I always wanted to buy one these trenching machines and turn up in someones garden with it to lay their SWA to the garage!
Trenching and groundwork trencher r95l - EletriciansForums.netTrenching and groundwork trencher astec160_sml - EletriciansForums.net
Totally not worth it for me and I tend to get the customer to do the digging for me as I have a damaged back, I will dig a few feet but that its about it.
Then again cost is king at all times and this is the way forward, unfortunately.

Reply to Trenching and groundwork in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock