Discuss TT SYSTEM in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
Took a swa cable to an outside metal shed, earthed at house end but insulated at shed end. Installed earth rods and got reading of 58ohm . all good. However glanded cable shed end for experiment and got 0.24ohms. Question what are the dangers and why cant you have both earthing systems in place. For the record the cable has been insulated shed end and is a TT system

Took a swa cable to an outside metal shed, earthed at house end but insulated at shed end. Installed earth rods and got reading of 58ohm . all good. However glanded cable shed end for experiment and got 0.24ohms. Question what are the dangers and why cant you have both earthing systems in place.
If the DNO supply is TNCS it would under certain fault conditions cause a dangerous situation for the TT system.

You can have both the supply earth (TN) as well as local earth rods. In many cases in the past that is what you would have once metal service pipes were bonded in any case. Of if any local lightning protection system (where Ra generally would be less than 10 ohms)

The issue for an outside metal building being linked to the supply CPC (i.e. extending TN system) comes when you have a TN-C-S supply and the risk of an open PEN causing the supply earth to try and return the live current via any metalwork. That has two serious implications:
  • The bonding of extraneous parts has to be, by the regs, at least 10mm copper equivalent due to the prospect of a high and sustained fault current. For many SWA relaying on the armour that is not met (for 2-core it is met for 70mm and above, for 4 core it is more-or-less met at 35mm as the steel CPC is 78mm CSA so approx 9.75mm Cu) so you might have the expense of an additional copper CPC or going up a core-count in the chosen SWA.
  • If the extraneous arts can be touched by a human or animal while in contact with the true Earth there is a risk of a shock under open PME conditions. Recently this has come to the fore with EV charging and the risk of folk washing the car while on charge. For a farm where animals are larger, don't have rubber boots, and more sensitive to shock, that presents all sorts of problems which is why TT has often been preferred.

I think, but would have to check, that if you have local backup generation it has to have its own means of earthing (i.e. you cannot assume the supply earth will be present if the supply has failed). So then you would need some earth rod(s) for the generator and that would be linked to the supply earth as well (and generator to have output RCD appropriate for the rods alone).

It's worthwhile considering here that if the proposed ammendment 2 sections all get enacted, then every new dwelling is about to become just that - TN-C-S also connected to basically TT. All that happens when we introduce a 'new' rod/tape/whatever onto a system is that we've just added yet another reference point onto the PME network so I've never understood the fascination for divorcing otherwise perfectly good TNCS systems.

Also, with such large animals around, it would be worth considering bonding extraneous farts...?
problem there is how do you bond your arse, a static strip trailing on the ground? my extraneous farts make the dogs think it's thunder and they hide in their bed.

Took a swa cable to an outside metal shed, earthed at house end but insulated at shed end. Installed earth rods and got reading of 58ohm . all good. However glanded cable shed end for experiment and got 0.24ohms. Question what are the dangers and why cant you have both earthing systems in place. For the record the cable has been insulated shed end and is a TT system
This is something bothering from a slightly different angle; I have an installation (using SWA) where the land is very free draining and a bit sandy. The Ze to rod(s) can be highly variable to say the least and so I 'm opting for a type C at the main board and and type B's at the wooden outhouse. Reliable earthing back to the main building TN and no earth rods. Risk assessed and mitigated. Am I missing anything and is there a recognised RA form to document this?

Reply to TT SYSTEM in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock