Discuss TT systems in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Neutral to earth will create any RCD an issue as this is where it is doing it's job:thumbsup

no i have the fan disconnected with the bathroom circuit breakes off the main switch operates until i disconnect the bathroom neutral at the cu

Line and neutral in a single phase installation ................................if you have a load (amps) going down the line they return on the neutral ......ok

You have a Ring final circuit with a load on it ..........so we flow down the Line and back through the neutral ....................still ok

You have a faulty light circuit which is tripping the RCD ..................isolating the breaker still trips the RCD, but when you disconnect the neutral it says in .................... still there

Now because your neutrals are commended at the board your getting the returns from your other circuits back to the neutral bar ...........remember the RFC. well when you connect your neutral from that light circuit into that bar .........you back feeding from the neutral bar into that light circuit, where there is a fault and causing the inbalance, that is causing the RCD to trip ......

Draw an RCD out.

then think how the circuits are connected.

Your RCD sounds like it is working perfectly.

You have A neutral to earth fault on your bathroom circuit, switching the mcb off does not isolate the bathroom neutral.

Neutral current from other circuits is flowing up the bathroom neutral towards the fault therefore causing an imbalance of phase - neutral currents.

I think this thread may be stepping on the toes of "Questionable Competence" so I am out as they say in the Den.

Good Luck, I hope you resolve the issue:thumbsup

Malcolm tells you in post 11 mate. Your lines go into the top end of your MCB, your neutrals go in the neutral bar. Turn off the MCB and line is isolated, the neutral is not as it is connected to all the other neutrals in the installation. Current flows from line through appliance then back down neutral. Obviously some of this is flowing down the neutral where the problem exists thus tripping the RCD.

Last edited by a moderator:
The things that I find interesting is that with a tiny bit of testing/fault finding, you'd have the answer in not a very long time. Since it appears the OP has actually completed the 2391, then I am now beginning to worry a little.

Reply to TT systems in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock