Discuss Types of crimps. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

That is what you wanted wasn't it?

Surely you know what crimps to use for what cable!!!!!!!

Jfgi.
Google is your friend mate. Try RS site,or a wholesaler.

Im sure I'm capable of performing a Google search for 'crimps'. I've used a lot of crimps before and was wondering what ones are used for household mains. If you don't want to help then why even say anything? :rolleyes2:

Its not something I was planning on doing, I was just wondering about it.
Thats the problem on this site (and why I don't come on here much anymore) you get shot down as soon as you ask something.

Theres some people who do genuinely help though, thanks Engineer54.

Why wouldn't you solder and heatshrink though?surely that's the best way in domestic stuff as generally your using single core cable which I've found generally don't crimp as well as multistrand stuff,where near enough everything is crimped on in industrial applications.

If the solder gets anywhere near melting point you've got way more problems elsewhere before that!

Very true :D, my point is though that it's pretty easy to melt solder. You can melt the stuff with a hair dryer! But it's pretty damn hard to shift a well crimped butt connector. If crimped correctly, a single butt connector should take the weight of a heavy guy swinging on the cable long before it gives way!

Personally, I hate crimping solid-core, let alone doing it and then burying it beneath plaster!
Just my opinion, you understand... :)

I find single core crimps better than multistrand. And solder could potentially just melt in fault conditions.

This is a joke of course?
No-one would ever choose a crimped joint over soldering on cables of that size who has the slightest knowledge of fault finding.
9/10 the faults are at poor connections and that's just what crimps are, additional connections,more to go wrong.unless you have a really exceptional crimper that I've never heard of or seen in action I'm nearly 100% certain that most electricians would agree that a soldered joint is the best,obviously not the most convenient hence why it's not regularly used in the uk.
Btw if you can melt solder connections which I believe melts at 350 degrees from memory then the rest of your cables probably on fire with anything plastic at that point anyway!!!!!

I'd also get that hair dryer checked out too seeings as you use a heat gun to melt heat shrink onto it at about 3000watts of power and you can't melt solder with one of those.
As above though,a poorly soldered joint is just as bad as a bad crimp but done correctly I've never seen one fail directly,always through impact damage/excess heat nearby as in fire etc.

This is a joke of course?

No, this isn't a joke and I'm entitled to my opinion mr patronising!

I know for a fact that every crimp I use is a sound connection because I give it a damn hard tug once fitted! Not one has come loose yet and never have they showed up poor test results. I agree that when fault finding badly fitted crimps can often be a cause of high results but that's just it, the critical word in that sentence being 'badly'. If they were really that poor then they wouldn't be classed as a maintenence free connection would they???

I'm nearly 100% certain that most electricians would agree that a soldered joint is the best

On single strand cable??? Why don't you put it to the test then??? Solder a length of T+E together and crimp a length of T+E together, then see which join is the strongest when you try and pull them apart. I can tell you now that you wouldn't be able to pull apart a properly crimped join but ripping the soldered join in two would be as easy as pulling apart a slice of bread!

Btw if you can melt solder connections which I believe melts at 350 degrees from memory then the rest of your cables probably on fire with anything plastic at that point anyway!!!!!

Solder melts at much less than 350 degrees, I know because I've used a hair dryer to melt (or at least soften) it before! If you've ever heard of the 'Hairdryer on motherboard' trick for fixing ring of death X-Box 360's then you'll know what I mean. If not, look it up on google and you'll see it in action. Ok fair enough it's only a miniscule amount of solder, but it's solder none the less! Also, if solder was the be all and end all, why do the regs not allow tinning of fine stranded multicore cable to make good terminations? Why? Because soldering can reduce the mechanical stability of a multi-stranded cable termination by wicking up the conductor thus making it lose its flexibility, this may also increase volt-drop and cause other problems. Also, with solder, migration of the elements in the solder over time because of pressure at the termination may cause problems as well. Funny that! considering that the only way the regs permit termination of fine stranded multicore cable is by using a suitable crimping device to attach a ferrule on the end first.

We all have our opinions, and I'm not going to tell anyone who prefers to use Wago's over crimps that they're wrong, neither am I gonna argue with anyone who thinks using crimps is a rough job, however anyone that says properly fitted crimps are unsafe is (IMHO) wrong!

Last edited:
Typical lead-free solder used in electronics melts at around 220 degrees C (older lead-based solder was typically a bit lower, under 200 degrees C). You can get high melting point solder, there are various types that can be as high as 350 degrees (or even higher) - but you have to specifically buy a high melting point type.

Typical lead-free solder used in electronics melts at around 220 degrees C (older lead-based solder was typically a bit lower, under 200 degrees C). You can get high melting point solder, there are various types that can be as high as 350 degrees (or even higher) - but you have to specifically buy a high melting point type.

Thanks for clarifing that buddy :)

Crimping electrical connections is an established termination method.That said,obviously the type of crimp has to comply with the materials used and the expected operating conditions.Your van,your hospital equipment and the space shuttle uses crimp connectors,so lets not curse them as the devils creation! :wink5: The real issue is whether they can be suitable for solid conductors.Because they are applied using mechanical forming,they rely on the continued resistance of that initial forming to maintain mechanical therefore electrical contact.This resistance or "springyness" (not a tech term!) is more easily acheived with multi-stranded conductors and is the operating principle of Wago type jb's. Think of a non stretchy belt on a fat bloke,jump up and down for a day,loose a bit weight,get hot and sweaty,the pants may come down.Put a bungy round them pants and hey presto! Crimps can function on solid conductors if they have enough body to resist the changing shape from the crimped form and there is containment of the conductor within the crimp ie; staggered forming along the conductor.In short good quality crimps,proper mechanical or hydraulic crimping device and good operation.If that can't be guaranteed,then other methods are best employed. .....OR how about those twisty yokes we used to use years ago? they were great......:joker:

Reply to Types of crimps. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock