Discuss UK to EU Adaptor for Extension Tower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My partner and I will be working from Germany for a few weeks. We have a couple of laptops, monitors, iMac, printer, TV, etc. that need to be plugged in. Obviously this would mean a ton of adaptors and headache in terms of where plugs are positioned.

I got two of the below extension tower (total maximum power capacity: 3000W) and was wondering if I'll be able to simply use an EU adaptor to plug these in? Also, which one would be suitable?

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000OV0CEY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for your help in advance!

Or get a UK 4/6-way socket board and fit a Euro plug on it.

Often you will get an unused Euro IEC lead along with a 31A IEC lead with stuff, that can be fitted to a UK board.
[automerge]1592340544[/automerge]
OK followed the Amazon link and it is a ready made version of what I use when I got to Europe. But if southern Italy be prepared for another type of plug/socket...

We should be careful with terminology: Germany uses Schuko plugs (CEE7/4) and sockets (CEE7/3) a.k.a type F, with side contact earth. Of the six popular types of socket used in various EU countries, it is the only one with that earthing configuration*. Therefore any adaptor you get must be suitable for Schuko. Plugs of the type shown on PC1966's link are CEE7/7, which have dual compatibility with Schuko and French sockets.

Many travel adaptors are dangerous firecrackers, even the best are often basic and flimsy. If you are connecting multiple electronic devices to one adaptor, the total earth leakage current could be significant so it is important to get an adaptor with secure and reliable earth contacts. Some cheap Schuko adaptors rely on the earth pin of the UK plug pressing against one side earth contact in the socket and make no connection to the other. An adaptor made to BS5733 and sold by a reputable UK brand should be better, but I would always use the method recommended by PC1966, with a proper Schuko plug connected to a proper UK socket, rather than a travel adaptor.

*Note that 'Europlug' is specifically the flat 2-pin moulded-on plug with slim, angled pins, supplied on small appliances in Europe. It is designed to fit all six normal socket types in Europe. By definition it is not earthed and rated at only 2.5A, so unsuitable for making a general purpose adaptor to UK 13A.

Reply to UK to EU Adaptor for Extension Tower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net