Discuss Undercut by the builder down the pub! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Had a phonecall about an hour ago asking if I could connect a new freestanding cooker up. The lady lives in a apartment building on the same development as me.
Call went like..
Lady: Hi, we have just bought a new cooker from Argos and need somebody to disconnect our old one and wire in the new one.
Me: I can help with that, where abouts are you? (thinking it will be a quick easy job i can fit in)
Lady: We are just along the road from you and wondered how much you would charge to come out later today to do it?
Me: As you are literally a 1 minute walk away I will charge you £20 (lower than normal as its on my doorstep and I am very confident the electrics in that fancy building are okay)
Lady: oh that is a bit high, can you go lower? as our friend who is a builder said he would do it for a tenner, hes down the pub at the moment and said he would pop in if needed after the football!
Me: its a Sunday and I am not a charity, by all means use your builder friend who could be drunk when he wires it in... sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Bye.

I thought it was bare faced cheek on the womans part to expect me to come out on a sunday and connect a cooker for a tenner! Only considered it to begin with as my coffee would still be warm when i got back its that close.
Worse still i am undercut by a less than sober builder down the pub!
World gets crazier by the day!

Had a phonecall about an hour ago asking if I could connect a new freestanding cooker up. The lady lives in a apartment building on the same development as me.
Call went like..
Lady: Hi, we have just bought a new cooker from Argos and need somebody to disconnect our old one and wire in the new one.
Me: I can help with that, where abouts are you? (thinking it will be a quick easy job i can fit in)
Lady: We are just along the road from you and wondered how much you would charge to come out later today to do it?
Me: As you are literally a 1 minute walk away I will charge you £20 (lower than normal as its on my doorstep and I am very confident the electrics in that fancy building are okay)
Lady: oh that is a bit high, can you go lower? as our friend who is a builder said he would do it for a tenner, hes down the pub at the moment and said he would pop in if needed after the football!
Me: its a Sunday and I am not a charity, by all means use your builder friend who could be drunk when he wires it in... sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Bye.

I thought it was bare faced cheek on the womans part to expect me to come out on a sunday and connect a cooker for a tenner! Only considered it to begin with as my coffee would still be warm when i got back its that close.
Did Bob the Builder do it then? or was it drunken bill shyite

I will do it for a Kentucky meal bargain bucket , Argos don't fit cookers or ovens Curry's charge £95.00.
Whoa that is far too much... haven't you heard there is a national shortage of KFC at the moment, apparently the new supplier has messed up and hasn't been able to deliver the chicken. so 100s of KFC's are closed due to this c**kup.. suffice to say I think the new supplier might not keep the contract if it goes on much longer

Whoa that is far too much... haven't you heard there is a national shortage of KFC at the moment, apparently the new supplier has messed up and hasn't been able to deliver the chicken. so 100s of KFC's are closed due to this c**kup.. suffice to say I think the new supplier might not keep the contract if it goes on much longer
their will have go get the scrawny chickens for India then .

Call went like..

Let him do it.!

Better off without customers like this ..........

£20 , when you pay tax and NI its only £14.20

That's assuming he doesn't pay tax at the 40% rate.

I really have no interest in working for people like that, and even if it was down the road I wouldn't do it for £20 especially on a Sunday.

How many experienced/qualified/registered electricians would go out on a Sunday to do that for £20 (apart from Gavin)?

Reply to Undercut by the builder down the pub! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net