Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Unusual set up at cut out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Arms
Esteemed
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Got a customer who wants a ev charger in garage, garage has 3 way rewireable board with 3 15amp fuses in for sockets, lights and outdoor lights. No rcds to be seen.
This is fed via a 2 core swa 2.5mm, has a fuse on swa from cut out but not a fuse i am familiar with. Says rated at 25amps and is just fuse wire. Previous owner also did a bit of diy on connecting the earth to the armour. Has anybody ever upgraded one of these fuses?
This just looks plain wrong and got diy written all over it.
Not sure how to go about fixing this as there is a lack of space in cabinet.
Is the fuse in top right compliant?
Ideally i would like to take the current garage board out and use the swa for an ev charger. But need to sort the cut out first.

20190906_145208.jpg

20190906_145805.jpg

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

Gavin John Hyde

-
Arms
Esteemed
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well seems the 'spark' aka diy dave used a street light cutout to protect a buried swa that goes to the garage. Might be able to get a switch fuse in if im lucky and tidy up the cables a bit.

T

Toneyz

Does it look like the street lighting cutout was there originally for something else?

Wow it looks like the electrical supply (Energy) company didn’t see a problem with this based on the fact they still have a crimped security wire on main cut out fuse they must have seen this botch job and not even considered it 🤦‍♂️ Looks a bit ropey to me
Post automatically merged:

Wow it looks like the electrical supply (Energy) company didn’t see a problem with this based on the fact they still have a crimped security wire on main cut out fuse they must have seen this botch job and not even considered it 🤦‍♂️ Looks a bit ropey to me
Smart Meter been installed aswell so clearly sumin not right here bet the lamppost is working overtime haha

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Aint that something that's installed in lamp posts?

marconi

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Has anyone ever seen tidy cabling inside one of these cabinets? Or is a snakes' wedding de rigueur.

Gavin John Hyde

-
Arms
Esteemed

Smart Meter been installed aswell so clearly sumin not right here bet the lamppost is working overtime haha
Smart meter was fitted start of year. They would have resealed main cut out fuse. It is a lamppost cut out but not sure why they used that rather than proper switched fuse.

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi Gav - my first thought is - if the Customer wants a nice new EV charger in the garage then all that lot should go in the skip. Probably see why I’m not popular :) .

Has anyone ever seen tidy cabling inside one of these cabinets? Or is a snakes' wedding de rigueur.
Ha - they do exist, I even give Henry a run in there :)

Last edited:

Gavin John Hyde

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi Gav - my first thought is - if the Customer wants a nice new EV charger in the garage then all that lot should go in the skip. Probably see why I’m not popular :) .

Ha - they do exist, I even give Henry a run in there :)
My thinking too. The swa can be salvaged as he only needs 16 amps for the ev hybrid he has on order.
Think i can get a lewden switch fuse in there as they are quite small. Dont need too large a csa on the tails before a wiska box and joining the swa.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to Unusual set up at cut out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom