Discuss Upstairs lights blown in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
About a week ago when I turned on the bedroom light (loft conversion)
there was a BANG from the light fitting right up in the vaulted ceiling.

All the lights in that room are now off and it also affects a second light on the stairs fed from the same 2 gang switch.

we have an old rewritable fuse board with a single upfront RCD that didn’t trip.

My wife is now saying that she wants to get an electrician in to fix it.
however, today I have made a start, I went out and found an old card of fuse wire in case I need it.

she thinks I should be taking this more seriously but it’s Sunday morning and I have only had one coffee and no bacon sandwiches yet.

any advice on how to handle this?
I am running out of reasons why it can’t be done right now,
I am not part P registered so any work I do at home is surely considered DIY.

what I need is a professional opinion that tells me it’s just not suitable for a home owner to attempt such a complex fault finding as a DIYer.
or possibly an emergency breakdown called in from somewhere .
or at a push maybe a bacon sandwich.

HELP PLEASE!!

These situations are particularly dangerous mate and should be approached with extreme caution……not the electrics you can bodge that…..an annoyed wife is far more dangerous 😂

Edit….in these circumstances in the past I often get the big blue book out and turn to a particularly confusing page and study that…that’ll buy you a few hours untill you need some parts but the shops have shut
Your welcome 👍🏻

All the lights in that room are now off and it also affects a second light on the stairs fed from the same 2 gang switch.

we have an old rewritable fuse board with a single upfront RCD that didn’t trip.

however, today I have made a start, I went out and found an old card of fuse wire in case I need it.

she thinks I should be taking this more seriously but it’s Sunday morning and I have only had one coffee and no bacon sandwiches yet.

what I need is a professional opinion that tells me it’s just not suitable for a home owner to attempt such a complex fault finding as a DIYer.

HELP PLEASE!!

Eastway electrical or Cjr come highly recommended.
Bear in mind, I didn't say for what though.

Send her out shopping!

giphy.gif

HELP PLEASE!!
Go to get parts... A table lamp from b&q and get a roll from the van in the carpark.

Sit on the floor, crosslegged, below the light fitting requiring repair.
Close your eyes, meditate until you reach a plane of existence beyond our reality.
Dont be surprised (as it breaks the trance) as you slowly float up towards the ceiling.

Remember your screwdriver.

Duck walks into a pub...​

A duck walks into a pub and orders a beer and a ham sandwich.

The barman looks at him and says, "But you're a duck".

"I see your eyes are working", replies the duck.

"And you talk!" exclaims the barman.

"I see your ears are working", says the duck, now can I have my beer and my sandwich please?"

"Certainly", says the barman, "sorry about that, it's just we don't get many ducks in this pub. What are you doing round this way?".

"I'm working on the building site across the road”explains the duck.

Then the duck drinks his beer, eats his sandwich and leaves. This continues for 2 weeks.

Then one day the circus comes to town.

The Ringleader of the circus comes into the pub and the barman says to him, "You're with the circus aren't you?, I know this duck that would be just brilliant in your circus, he talks, drinks beer and everything!".

"Sounds marvellous", says the ringleader, "get him to give me a call".

So the next day when the duck comes into the pub the barman says, "Hey Mr Duck, I reckon I can line you up with a top job, paying really good money!"

"Yeah?", says the duck, "Sounds great, where is it?"

"At the circus", says the barman.

"The circus?" the duck enquires.

"That's right", replies the barman.

"The circus?" the duck asks again.

"Yes" says the barman

"That place with the big tent?" the duck enquires.

"Yeah" the barman replies.

"With all the animals?" the duck questioned.

"Of Course" the barman replies.

"With the big canvas roof with the hole in the middle", asks the duck

"That's right!" says the barman

The duck looks confused.

"What the f*ck would they want with a plasterer?"......😂😂😂

UPDATE.

I did get a bacon sandwich
WIN
i did not have to fix electric stuff on my day off
WIN
Lights upstairs still not working
FAIL
I have painted the lounge walls today instead
FAIL

I think it has ended up as a draw!!!
🤣🤣🤣

Duck walks into a pub...​

A duck walks into a pub and orders a beer and a ham sandwich.

The barman looks at him and says, "But you're a duck".

"I see your eyes are working", replies the duck.

"And you talk!" exclaims the barman.

"I see your ears are working", says the duck, now can I have my beer and my sandwich please?"

"Certainly", says the barman, "sorry about that, it's just we don't get many ducks in this pub. What are you doing round this way?".

"I'm working on the building site across the road”explains the duck.

Then the duck drinks his beer, eats his sandwich and leaves. This continues for 2 weeks.

Then one day the circus comes to town.

The Ringleader of the circus comes into the pub and the barman says to him, "You're with the circus aren't you?, I know this duck that would be just brilliant in your circus, he talks, drinks beer and everything!".

"Sounds marvellous", says the ringleader, "get him to give me a call".

So the next day when the duck comes into the pub the barman says, "Hey Mr Duck, I reckon I can line you up with a top job, paying really good money!"

"Yeah?", says the duck, "Sounds great, where is it?"

"At the circus", says the barman.

"The circus?" the duck enquires.

"That's right", replies the barman.

"The circus?" the duck asks again.

"Yes" says the barman

"That place with the big tent?" the duck enquires.

"Yeah" the barman replies.

"With all the animals?" the duck questioned.

"Of Course" the barman replies.

"With the big canvas roof with the hole in the middle", asks the duck

"That's right!" says the barman

The duck looks confused.

"What the f*ck would they want with a plasterer?"......😂😂😂

How come you get away with using the f*ck in a post when i tried it got deleted 3 times by a mod ?? And then I was messaged saying to refrain from swearing

How come you get away with using the f*ck in a post when i tried it got deleted 3 times by a mod ?? And then I was messaged saying to refrain from swearing
I don't know, it was a copy and paste so I should of edited it tbh.

But I'm kind of hoping it's slipped through the net and no attention has been drawn to my post by a mod or admin!

giphy.gif

Ah - I think it's established etiquette that if your post comes to the attention of a mod, it's probably best not to proceed to create further work for them........ twice....🤣
They are entitled to a bit of time to sup their beer too!
Maybe rejoin in the name Reevio would do the trick 🤣

Reply to Upstairs lights blown in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net