Discuss Urgent help needed in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KFORDHUNTER

I have just been round to look at a job, basically guy needs an extractor fan in his cloakroom ( sink and toilet ), checked his board, quite old with old circuit breakers no rcd; and his bonding is inadequate.

Can i just fit the fan or do i have to upgrade the board and bonding as well, he wants certificate for fan, not a problem, need hekp urgently.

I have just been round to look at a job, basically guy needs an extractor fan in his cloakroom ( sink and toilet ), checked his board, quite old with old circuit breakers no rcd; and his bonding is inadequate.

Can i just fit the fan or do i have to upgrade the board and bonding as well, he wants certificate for fan, not a problem, need hekp urgently.

well the circuit must comply with the 17th

and if its a new circuit, then you must fill out an EIC, and you CANNOT have an X against anything on the schedule of inspections accompyanining an EIC

you bathroom rules do not apply, and its not a socket outlet, so are the cables buried? (or will they be buried) if so they will need an RCD

an alternative would be to surface (trunking mount) and cables on the wall to the fan, if it bondong is undersized, well if it was a PIR then that would be a 4 (not unsafe, just not i.a.w the current regs)

Cheers mate, the cables will not be buried as it is an upstairs cloaks, am gonna come off the existing light into a fan iso and out to the fan all in the loft, have just started on my own, am competent at the work just a little rusty on the official protocol of such jobs, your input is appreciated. Can i do the fan and recommend the board and bond upgrade????????

Cheers mate, the cables will not be buried as it is an upstairs cloaks, am gonna come off the existing light into a fan iso and out to the fan all in the loft, have just started on my own, am competent at the work just a little rusty on the official protocol of such jobs, your input is appreciated. Can i do the fan and recommend the board and bond upgrade????????

well ideally you should upgrade the board and protective bonding

however, 130.8.1 (used to be 130-07-01) has been changed from the 16th,

this is the reg that makes you do the pre-work survey, i.e "alterations and additions"

whereas it is till says "no alteration or addition etc etc unless the exisiting installation can take the extra load........and the earthing and bonding are also adequate", it now has the added words after bonding...."if required for the protective measure applied for the safey for the alteration or addition"

As i said, if i did a PIR i would put this on a 4 (not unsafe, just not i.a.w current regs)

so if it is not unsafe, then you could apply 130.8.1 and leave it alone (in my opinion)

depending of course what you mean by 'indadequate'!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Urgent help needed in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net