Discuss Use for 1.5mm shaver wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

First pic from 16th Ed has no mention of sockets, another version does. Later copies quote BS numbers.20201101_121008.jpg20201101_121245.jpg

Sadly the vast majority of TV antenna boosters come with a pre-moulded power supply with integral BS1363 pins, hence the need for a socket outlet taken from a lighting circuit. If manufacturers supplied items with a flex then this would negate the need for a socket outlet in this instance.

The use of a BS1363 accessory on a lighting circuit was for the purpose of a luminaire coupler in other words the means of connecting a light fitting. One amendment of the 16th Ed removed BS1363 from the list but it was later reinstated. I see no issue with repurposing this cable for use as a socket provided suitable protection is in place even though it isn't the purpose as stated in BS7671.
Thank you, Westie. Your input did, for a minute, make me doubt the purpose for the inclusion of sockets on lighting circuits in T'regs. And my view on this.
I thought, perhaps, I had been wrong about this and the intention of the regs is for specific lighting plug and socket systems such as the Hager/Click plug-in ceiling rose. But these conform to BS6972 (also the later BS7001) and these are specifically also specified as one of the permitted attachments in BS7671.
The inclusion of (specifically) socket to BS1363 (described as a "suitable" socket) can only mean these are permitted. There is no qualification in the regs other than the word "suitable".
By this I can only assume that its down to us electricians to decide that we wouldn't install a BS1363 socket from a lighting circuit in the loft if there was any danger of George's wife getting up there to plug in the hot tub.

The worst that can happen is the someone thinks what idiot put a 3a fuse in a FCU feeding a 13a socket and replaces it with a 13a one and then plugs in his equipment causing a blackout/
So someone puts a 13a fuse in a fcu marked “lighting 3A ONLY”......I’d say they deserve to sit in the dark wouldn’t you? ?......who is the genuine idiot in that scenario chris?

So someone puts a 13a fuse in a fcu marked “lighting 3A ONLY”......I’d say they deserve to sit in the dark wouldn’t you? ?......who is the genuine idiot in that scenario chris?
Unfortunately, there is no shortage of idiots - otherwise we wouldn't have to put the 'two colours' sticker everywhere

Unfortunately, there is no shortage of idiots - otherwise we wouldn't have to put the 'two colours' sticker everywhere
His argument is a little flawed isn’t it ?.....ultimate conclusion is what is to actually stop anyone from taking the 6a mcb/rcbo and popping a 50 in there, that’s stopped the tripping issue ??......sometimes @GeorgeCooke we have to step back and let Darwin do his thing!

Sadly the vast majority of TV antenna boosters come with a pre-moulded power supply with integral BS1363 pins, hence the need for a socket outlet taken from a lighting circuit. If manufacturers supplied items with a flex then this would negate the need for a socket outlet in this instance.
Why does that mean there is a "need" for a socket from the lighting circuit? It needs a socket from the ring or 16a radial.

There is no reason why aerial installers cannot choose boosters with power supplies that are not wall worts and changing the plug.

His argument is a little flawed isn’t it ?.....ultimate conclusion is what is to actually stop anyone from taking the 6a mcb/rcbo and popping a 50 in there, that’s stopped the tripping issue ??......sometimes @GeorgeCooke we have to step back and let Darwin do his thing!
The issue would come where there was a potential danger from the aforementioned idiot doing his thing - and whether that could reasonably be foreseen.

In this case, I don't think there would be an actual danger, just an inconvenience.

So the IET caved in to warehouse installers who wanted to operate a dangerous practice instead of using the correct plug and socket such as a BS546 5amp one.

My faith in the IET has just gone down several notches.
In what way is it dangerous.

The issue would come where there was a potential danger from the aforementioned idiot doing his thing - and whether that could reasonably be foreseen.

In this case, I don't think there would be an actual danger, just an inconvenience.
Depending on where the idiot was when plunged into darkness. I've already mention a foot through the loft floor for instance.

Depending on where the idiot was when plunged into darkness. I've already mention a foot through the loft floor for instance.
That's not an electrical danger though, though not sure it would ever be reasonble to consider it our responsibility - Blame the house builder who didn't board the loft and provide handrails....

But it is supplying a 13a socket. So the obvious assumption is that it is mislabelled.
Obviously yes the person that took the time and care to mark up the accessories made a mistake, c’mon @GeorgeCooke ?......surely if we are making assumptions you’d assume it was correct, why would you mark up something for 13a only?

I’m glad we’ve reached a happy medium in the person being an idiot....so just to play along what do you actually see this idiot plugging in that would trip the circuit, in a loft that’s clearly not used for much as it has no boarding to even walk around on? Bearing in mind the circuit was probably already in use with the tv amplifier being hardwired into it?

I’m glad we’ve reached a happy medium in the person being an idiot....so just to play along what do you actually see this idiot plugging in that would trip the circuit, in a loft that’s clearly not used for much as it has no boarding to even walk around on? Bearing in mind the circuit was probably already in use with the tv amplifier being hardwired into it?
A lamp to supply his 'herb' collection? :)

I have one that someone put in a 3a fused central heating system and ran motor of shower mixer. This was in the cupboard in the upstairs.

I stuck a label on it in yellow stating only for 3a use.

luckily my wife has an advanced C&G in electronics ......and I have now replaced it with an RCD.

Reply to Use for 1.5mm shaver wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net