Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Use of sy cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

polo1

-
Arms
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Peeps,
Your thoughts please on the use of sy cable in a domestic setting.
Came across an installation today where the supply to an immersion element had been run in sy cable. Overcurrent protection correct and circuit is covered by a 30mA rcd.

I think we are going to be doing an EICR in the property in the next few weeks and couldn’t decide how this might be coded.

What do you think?
TIA

Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
C3 for me as not a suitable cable as this is not its intended use. Also as this is near s heat source the plastic coating will become brittle and crack over time.

Zdb

-
If you are going to earth it how can you be sure it is capable of carrying fault current if required.
IMO the braiding must be earthed but not used as an earth! I don't know its capability of carrying the fault current as not enough information has been provided.

IMO the braiding must be earthed but not used as an earth! I don't know its capability of carrying the fault current as not enough information has been provided.
Why are you earthing it. No it can't be used as a cpc but connecting it to earth leaves the possibility it could be subjected to fault current and if this is the case you must be satisfied it can carry the fault current.

SparkySy

-
Arms
I went to a farm with all the out buildings wired in SY not so long ago. Apparently done by a full NIC contractor. I didn't bother to argue with the farmer but it was shite none of the screens were earthed just cut off and taped up through stuffing glands.
What a waste of time and money when there are much better spec cables that can be used!

I went to a farm with all the out buildings wired in SY not so long ago. Apparently done by a full NIC contractor. I didn't bother to argue with the farmer but it was shite none of the screens were earthed just cut off and taped up through stuffing glands.
What a waste of time and money when there are much better spec cables that can be used!
You would be amazed by the amount of ‘electricians’ who just cut off the braiding

Zdb

-
Why are you earthing it. No it can't be used as a cpc but connecting it to earth leaves the possibility it could be subjected to fault current and if this is the case you must be satisfied it can carry the fault current.

But on the other hand, not earthing it could cause it to become live if damaged?

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Not connecting it to earth will lead to capcitively coupled voltages appearing on the braid.

Reply to Use of sy cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom