Discuss Use of sy cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I really dislike sy cable for anything other than maybe industrial machine wiring, I come across it as a maintenance spark all the time and see mechanically biased engineers installing final circuits using it because "it's easier" but when you correctly earth the braiding it is not easier to install it's as easy to install armoured cable and you cut your fingers on the braiding and does not comply with the regs to boot. The braiding must be earthed or could potentially become live if the cable got bumped or damaged in some way. I would record as c3 if this is not the case, just a very odd cable for domestic use!
Where is it cited SY cable braid must be earthed and how do you confirm it can carry fault current without suffering undue thermal stress.

Lots of agree & disagreement on this,not the best cable to be used,on whatever.
The braid needs to be earthed,similar to the sheath of a Swa cable.
Doubt very much if the braid will carry the earth fault current,may do over a short time until the mcb,Rcd operates.
This I assume is why it’s not recommended nobody bothers to connect the braid,which really is a no no.

Doubt very much if the braid will carry the earth fault current,may do over a short time until the mcb,Rcd operates.
This I assume is why it’s not recommended nobody bothers to connect the braid,which really is a no no.
If a circuit is correctly designed fault current should only be for a brief duration nevertheless the braid must be able to withstand this. How are you deciding upon this when you connect it to earth.

It is designed as a machine control cable. Not for fixed wiring. I belive the confusion arose once manufacturers started producing it with Brown, Blue and GY core colours.

It also, only complies with the German VDE standards, hence not accepted by BS7671.

It's not UV or water resistant. The braiding is a screen, not designed to take fault current.

The braid is sometimes earthed for screening purposes only, so it doesn’t necessarily need earthing for the reason of fault protection only.
Perhaps should be installed with additional mechanical protection to reduce faults to a minimum.
Irrelevant in this scenario I know.

Only good for control wiring as stated by the manufacturers and should be installed as per manufacturers instructions.

Last edited:
If a circuit is correctly designed fault current should only be for a brief duration nevertheless the braid must be able to withstand this. How are you deciding upon this when you connect it to earth.
I’m not,it’s recommended the braid is connected to earth be it functional or protection,obviously the manufacturers,have tested this to their standards only.

Reply to Use of sy cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net