Discuss Using a USA furnace blower rated at 115v in the U.K. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gamma

-
Reaction score
Good afternoon

I have a furnace blower from USA that I’m using as part of a filter box, the blower is a 115v and 1.35amp
DAYTON Rectangular Permanent Split Capacitor OEM Specialty Blower, Flange: Yes, Wheel Dia: 6-3/16", 115VAC - 1TDR7|1TDR7 - Grainger - https://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/DAYTON-Rectangular-Permanent-Split-1TDR7

My understanding is that I need to connect a plug to the blower (U.K. or must it be us style?) and then I need to connect the blower to a step up transformer which in turn gets plugged into my U.K. socket.....

200/500/1000/2000W UK-US US-UK Step Up/Down Voltage Converter Power Transformer | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200-500-1000-2000W-UK-US-US-UK-Step-Up-Down-Voltage-Converter-Power-Transformer/182829729494?hash=item2a918046d6:m:mb2OgqPght0_pFmexPv5MBA&var=690133097153&_trkparms=gclientid%3DNncHuwFKU1fmqR5EoBL2uR-a9g8IcUpPUhesyOcX_xTHpPd4wCCk2VTA1a97k3y3&_trksid=p2489528.m4335.l8656

Would this transformer work? Say the 500w model? I’m also a bit confused about the transformers amperage which is rated at 0.8, is that enough for the blower?

I’m also having a hard time as to why I can’t find a 240v to 115v transformer? Does that 5v make much difference?

If I may also get some info on the wiring, their is a capacitor their, do I do anything with it? And the wiring, black goes to our brown, white to our blue and my earth gets screwed under the screw by the little green sticker(earth sign?)?

Any help would be appreciated

3AE027BB-296A-4E10-A1C9-FFB70977D166.jpeg

98597E8D-39D1-456B-BB92-425CD9BE1B0D.jpeg

Your blower is rated at 115V @ 50 hz/60hz astep down TX is what you need 240V primary 115V secondary alaso rated at 50hz/60hz, connect your blower to the TX output vi a DP switch. Why did you buy a 115V blower?

If the converter outputs at 50hz the motor will run slower which can be up to 20% slower. This may affect its ability to stay cool if run for long periods of time.

Your blower is rated at 115V @ 50 hz/60hz astep down TX is what you need 240V primary 115V secondary alaso rated at 50hz/60hz, connect your blower to the TX output vi a DP switch. Why did you buy a 115V blower?

Hi Pete999

That blowers cfm rating at a specific pressure was closest suited to my application, I was having no luck finding one locally so went with a brand that I know is used

I was under the impression that 50hz/60hz meant it can be used with either?
I still can’t find a 240v to 115v step down transformer, do they make them or can I use this?
UK 240v to USA 110volt Step Down Transformer 300Va - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SC5300.html
Seems better suited(amp rating is 2.5)

Apologies I misread the motor plate so it is okay to run on either frequency. Your original converter will run it sorry for my confusion.

Last edited:
@50 hz the cfm will be around 415 cfm
@ 60 hz its cfm shows 485 on the label
roughly 16 % drop in efficiency and a slight rise in running temperature but this motor is designed to run at either frequency

Reply to Using a USA furnace blower rated at 115v in the U.K. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock