Discuss Using H05VV-F cable outdoors in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mishev

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to put an RCD socket on my balcony through the wall, which would mean ~1m of the cable will be outdoors (The other end would be plugged in a socket inside).
Now I have the perfect length cable lying around (PK TSE HAR H05VV-F 3x1.5 PX95), however after some research I found that H05VV-F cables are not suitable for outdoor use. I couldn't find the reason about that though - the cable looks pretty solid to me.

I guess my question is, could you help me understand what the danger of using it in my case would be?
Would it make any difference if I put it in some trunking?
If there's a good reason not to use it at all, what would be the right cable to buy for this?

And one side question - does that fall into the category of an electrical installation that must be certified by a qualified electrician?

Off the top of my head I think that is white pvc flex which will degrade in sunlight, this is why it's not suitable for external use.
Also 1.5 is normally too small for UK socket circuits.

If you google the cable, like I’ve just done, you’ll see it’s primarily for indoor use.

I believe H07RN-F is more suited.

@davesparks, if 1.5 is too small for UK socket circuits, what width should I get then?

@GeorgeCooke, I have no idea if the current installation is RCD protected, how do I know? I've already bought the one on the picture. I suppose having that extra protection couldn't hurt, could it?

Attachments

• Using H05VV-F cable outdoors 91F35Q+A8AL._SL1500_ - EletriciansForums.net
    91F35Q+A8AL._SL1500_.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 4
That’s an expensive extension lead.

Why not employ the services of a competent electrician and have you outdoor socket professionally installed?

@davesparks, if 1.5 is too small for UK socket circuits, what width should I get then?

@GeorgeCooke, I have no idea if the current installation is RCD protected, how do I know? I've already bought the one on the picture. I suppose having that extra protection couldn't hurt, could it?

It's not the width of the cable but the cross sectional area (CSA), the size varies between different types of circuit but as a general rule it will need to be the same CSA as the rest of the wiring in that circuit.

You need to know what protection the circuit has in order to know how you can extend the circuit safely and in a compliant manner.

The OP says that the other end will be plugged in to a socket inside (not wired in)
This means it will not be considered as part of the fixed wiring.

It will surely be fused at 13A and as we all know, standard 13A plugs are only designed to accept up to 1.5mm flex.
I think you would be better to get a professional in to fit you a socket correctly.
However if you really want a diy type extension lead then just go to a wholesaler and buy some 3 core flex suitable for outdoor use.
Black is the best colour as the carbon used to make the colour is a natural uv protection.

Reactions: DPG

2.5mm is the correct cable for UK socket circuits. However, as has been said, if it comes from a plug 1.5 is OK.

Look for a RCD in your consumer unit. It is a cutout with a test button.

Two in line won't give extra protection, it will mean both or either will trip on a fault leading to confusion.

Reply to Using H05VV-F cable outdoors in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock