Discuss very tentative about asking this. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok let me get my concerns out of the way first…

Every time I see someone ask for advice, especially when they are an ‘outsider’ so to speak, people seem to take great pleasure in shooting them down, telling them what they can’t do or not giving helpful advice in any shape of form. In short just being very unhelpful.

That’s the negative bit done!

I have registered with this forum to try and get some advice from within the industry. Im currently looking at all my options for the future. I have been working as an electrical technician in the RAF for the past 13 years. I’m just trying to find out how best to transfer my skillset from my current environment to that of a ‘civvie’ electrician. One of the main focuses of my job is to design, install and test temporary installations for ongoing deployments and exercises around the world, all of which must conform to the 17th Edition.

Looking on line at training centers/ collages and what they offer has not made things any clearer. They are aimed people that are new to the game, I’m not (domestic, possibly)! I have done the 17th Ed (and 16th before that). At the age of 39 and working full time the option of doing the NVQ is completely out of the question. I will be doing 2394 & 2395 test and inspect as well as 2396 electrical design at some point in the near future. This is mainly to formalize the training I have and advance my knowledge further.

Any (helpful) advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the negative start.

you could do a nvq 3 portfolio while working full time. other than that, it's all down to what an employer may demand. bear in mind that for any construction site work, you'll need an ECS card. that's a simple H&S test followed by the JIB entrance for mature candidates.

https://www.ecscard.org.uk/mature-candidate-assessment

Hi Eddie, are you still in the RAF? or are you working in civvy Street? looks like you have got the courses right, but I'm Old School did my training in the 60s so my take on current course requirements may not be that good, I'm sure some of the younger Lads Trainees / Apprentices will be able to help better than me. I think the main thing you will need if you are looking for work outside of the RAF would be to try and get yourself an Electricians Mate job, to get experience etc, in the mean time try and get access to the Trainee section within this forum, if you click on Forums and scroll down to Access to Trainee forum, it's very user friendly and if you don't get any joy contact one of the forum staff, they will be able to point you in the right direction, good luck. I see Telectrix has given advice, he wouldn't sell you a bum steer.

Depend on what you want to do. I think if you get the qualifications you are looking at and with your experience some sort of maintenance or industrial installation contractors should be willing to give you a try.

Eddie,I have nothing but respect for the standard of electrical technicians who have served in the RAF
Seek employment as a mate is like asking you as a surgeon to bandage a swollen ankle

Your skill level will no doubt be well above for what passes as training for many electricians in this industry,depending on the sector you chose to operate,a bit of work experience to get familiar and little should be of trouble to you

The 2391 testing eq2ivelent can open many doors in the installation world,either as a employee or to set up and go it alone also as stated the ecs site card would be a very handy item
Design is often a step up from the average spark and would be a plus to most potential employers
Your training and present experience should hold no restriction

And me . RAF training was excellent and should give you a heads start.

with your experience, might it be a good idea to consider the aircraft museums in your area. Duxford for one. i'm sure your skills would be ideal for restoration work on the aircraft. just a thought.

with your experience, might it be a good idea to consider the aircraft museums in your area. Duxford for one. i'm sure your skills would be ideal for restoration work on the aircraft. just a thought.
Tha's a good idea

I'll second telectrix NVQ route. This could be completed whilst still employed/working. From my experience ex forces people are highly respected + their standard of work is high. I don't think you will have any trouble finding aa position. The museum idea mentioned is also a great idea, but you may feel like a complete change. Whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck.

Responded to a job as a maintenance Electrician advertised in Duxford.
Very disappointed to discover it wasn't at the museum.

Reply to very tentative about asking this. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock