Discuss VIR cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electric Magic

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Doing a partial rewire at the moment in a large Victorian house. The dining room wall lights that I've now removed were wired in VIR with no cpc (despite everything else in the house being rewired 20 years ago), the wall fittings were brass, the insulation on the line wire inside 2 out of 3 of the wall lights was so decayed it was virtually non existent, and to top it all off, the plumber did his work before me and shoved his brand new copper pipes under one of these cables in the ceiling above. When I found it there was no insulation left between the line conductor and the pipe it was touching. Lucky no one decided to switch the lights on when he was working above!!!

Well it's been in that Victorian house since electricity was installed in it, given good service, its due for replacement is it not. (20 odd years ago)

With a lot of VIR cable, it is normally at the terminations that the insulation has depleted! You will probably find that along its run, the insulation is in tact and will probably test OK! However, I and many others would recommend replacing this cable before we even get the tester out. But this is not law and some older sparks would argue the case for testing it to see if it needed replacing at all. Each to their own.

Jay

disconect the wall lights and recomend the lights need re wiring

I trust you would be seeking permission first...or one day,your doctor,who has a nice Victorian property...will observe you,with maybe an unruly child,causing mayhem in his waiting room,as you are due a Flu jab,perhaps...and as you leave,he may say "I have noticed you possibly struggling with one child,so i included a short term sterility drug,in your jab...can i recommend having the snip?"

...Only a bit of fun,pal :hat:

Reply to VIR cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net