Discuss VIR cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I was doing a kitchen refurb last week and was pulling out some 1950's Enfield Electric TRS cable. The insulation was sound on the megger and looked fresh as a daisy visually.
I would have no worries if that was in my own house of keeping it in service.
See little things like this reminds me when the electrical industry was at the height of it game.

There is no metal conduit for the wall lights (although there are bits of it elsewhere in the house). The wall lights are not being replaced so have just ripped the VIR out. They are getting a chandelier that is over a meter high (not including the chain) and has 12 lamps on it (I advised that it might be a little big and bright but it is what they want). The ceilings are high (about 2.85m) but personally I wouldn't get a light that bright if its going to sit at eye level or lower, but each to their own.

There is no metal conduit for the wall lights (although there are bits of it elsewhere in the house). The wall lights are not being replaced so have just ripped the VIR out. They are getting a chandelier that is over a meter high (not including the chain) and has 12 lamps on it (I advised that it might be a little big and bright but it is what they want). The ceilings are high (about 2.85m) but personally I wouldn't get a light that bright if its going to sit at eye level or lower, but each to their own.

Going to be on a dimmer perhaps?

Are you sure it's VIR then? VIR singles were only ever installed in metal conduit or wooden cap and casing

Are you sure it's VIR then? VIR singles were only ever installed in metal conduit or wooden cap and casing

Thanks for the info. Having done a bit more research, I don't think it is. I originally I identified it as such because I'd read about VIR in forum posts (where exactly what it looked like was not mentioned) and when I came across this stuff I searched for a picture of it. I found a couple of pictures identified as VIR similar to what I found at the house (black flat sheathed cable with rubber insulated conductors) but I've now found information that suggests VIR only came in twisted pair with no outer sheath or singles (which highlights the perils of internet research but I'm not sure where to look for an authoritative source on such stuff - pointers welcome). I'm not sure what the correct name is for what I've found is but perhaps you could tell me? If it's not clear enough from my description I can take a picture of it when I go back next week as I haven't disposed of it yet.

Include a recommendation for use of hard hats when entering the room...maybe with a H&S sign on the outside of the door.

vir is bassically the same as 6491b but rubber with a clothlike look, it might still be shiny but i doubt it and the easiest way to tell if its vir is, bend it, the insulation should snap and look a bit like a shoelace

Reply to VIR cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net