Discuss What am I eligible to certify? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all.
Sorry if this topic has already been covered, but I’m far from tech savvy and haven’t got much of an idea how to navigate this forum.

I’m wondering if anyone can advise me on what I can and can’t certify, and how I go about doing so?
This area wasn’t covered greatly during my time in education and I can’t seem to get one defined answer off anyone I speak to.
Everyone seems to have their own versions of do’s, don't and loop holes!

I have
  • Level 3 apprenticeship,
  • AM2 / Certificate of competence, and have my - 18th edition

From what I can loosely gather from more reliable people in the trade, I can sign off my own work, but have to notify building control for each job (which apparently costs a fortune?) or register myself with a scheme. Is this correct?
If so, how do I go about getting registered - do I need my 2391 for this?

Others have suggested that without my 2391, I am only able to certify my own installs and can’t certify alterations to existing circuits?

Am I able to carry out testing and inspection of existing work in the form of an EICR?
I've been lead to believe I’m not to do this without the 2391, yet I know of a local ‘spark’ without qualifications, who advertises as NICEIC registered and regularly carries out EICR’s.

And lastly. A job opportunity has arisen where I am required to certify my own work.
The company are registered with NIC, does this mean I wouldn’t need to be, or would I too need to be registered?

Might seem stupid questions to some, but I’ve never touched the certification side of things and would like to understand exactly what I am and aren’t eligible to do.

Thanks in advance

Well, ask the company would be the quick answer. Usually if a company is registered, then you would be covered for all aspects of testing as there should be a qualified supervisor with all the exams like that and that would cover you. You can go to any job independent of the company and certify. However on domestic you would have to notify local building control, they may even accept your qualifications and allow you to certify depends on who answers the phone and what the local policies are ask the building control regards that. You will need PL insurance if you are working and certifying your work. PI insurance for EICR. It is ultimately easier and cheaper to join a scheme. You do not need this for commercial technically but it is highly unlikely you would get work without scheme membership.

From what I can loosely gather from more reliable people in the trade, I can sign off my own work, but have to notify building control for each job (which apparently costs a fortune?) or register myself with a scheme. Is this correct?
If so, how do I go about getting registered - do I need my 2391 for this? NO

Others have suggested that without my 2391, I am only able to certify my own installs and can’t certify alterations to existing circuits? RUBBISH

Am I able to carry out testing and inspection of existing work in the form of an EICR? YES, IF YOU ARE "COMPETENT"
I've been lead to believe I’m not to do this without the 2391, yet I know of a local ‘spark’ without qualifications, who advertises as NICEIC registered and regularly carries out EICR’s.

And lastly. A job opportunity has arisen where I am required to certify my own work.
The company are registered with NIC, does this mean I wouldn’t need to be, or would I too need to be registered? NO IT'S THE COMPANY THAT FILE CERTS

Might seem stupid questions to some, but I’ve never touched the certification side of things and would like to understand exactly what I am and aren’t eligible to do.

Even shorter answer - if you are working for a company in a scheme you don’t need any more bits of paper or scheme membership yourself.
If you go it alone - scheme membership is unfortunately the only cost effective way of doing what you are supposed to do for building control.

Hi

I really cannot give you an answer if you need 2391 to do your own jobs, however I do know to get into an inspection council they ask for 2391. I am currently in NAPIT and before was in the NICEIC and both wanted to see my 2391. Part P registration is only for domestic premises and although since the start I thought this was a waste of time, now selling houses is becoming harder without proper registration to Building Control. They are actually clamping down on it! Part P mainly refers to, a new Circuit, a special Location, a fuse board change. Be in a scheme or get the council to register your work.

Reading your post you seem to be working for a company, therefore at work for them you will be covered by there scheme. Outside of that environment, test everything, do it properly, but keep away from Part P jobs as you could blacklist your customer from selling there home in the future, always give them a test sheet no matter what you do, use the one in the regs, easily downloaded and printed, and declare your earnings. Do more than the best job you can for your employer and yourself, that way when you get home you sleep well knowing your customers are safe.

Electrical work is a responsibility as well as a living, the stuff kills people. Treat it with the upmost respect!

Rich

Reply to What am I eligible to certify? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock