Discuss What are Proteus MCB's made of, solid gold...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-Matt

-
Reaction score
Im not a big user of CEF, so I don't expect the best pricing, however this is surely taking the mick............

Its just a bog standard Proteus 6A MCB. Imagine the cost if I needed a full board of these......

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 15.14.20.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Proteuse=Carp =CEF
Didn't have any experience of Proteus gear, needed 2 by 4 way CUs in IP rate enclosure, CEF Rep arranged for a Proteus Rep to see me.
We agreed they would build it for me, and ship it abroad, as time was short, wouldn't do that normally.
Once fitted ,worked OK for about a day then all the RCBOs went into meltdown, called CEF from my location (Berlin), managed to sort things out in the end using Merlin Gerin stuff, got home and went to town with the CEF management, suffice to say, we never used them again, and Proteus was banned from our vocabulary. Had many visit from the CEF Reps full of apologies, to no avail I hasten to add, went local independent wholesaler, never had better service, sorry Proteus, well not really.

Last edited:
£7.90 - that's ridiculous for a wholesaler's own label product, at the same level as a bog standard BG MCB, that can be had for less than a couple of quid. OK, it's a 10kA In type and these are a little bit more than the 6kA equivalent, but even so, you can get a decent branded (Hager, Eaton, etc) for less than that.
But with CEF, your individual trade pricing is down to the Manager at your local branch. We're lucky at Reading to have a really switched on (pardon the pun) Manager that likes to do deals.

Just looked on line, I have an account but rarely use them. My discounts are set up on line.
The 6a type C 10ka is indeed £7.90
Their 6a type B 6ka is £3.15.

Don't know what the equilivent would be elsewhere.

I have used a fair bit of Proteus and the equivalent M2 over the years.....neither are at all well built but the honest truth is I've had no more failures and problems than I've had with any other makes. CEF will charge whatever they can get away with, we once had a barney with them when a customer was offered a better price for an item than we had been quoted...and we'd had an account for many years. Not surprisingly they got both barrels and then some, along with a promise to remove our account if they ever pulled a stroke like that again.

The problem is when you need to add to a existing proteus board, which a lot of the industrial estates around here seem to be, you have no real option but to go to CEF, and I'm sure CEF know this.....

just looking at a few other invoices:

Proteus 32A type c RCBO - £22.97 +vat

CW25 glands - £9.77+vat

Im tempted to send the branch manager an email to see his take on this pricing, and to see if he can see why I don't order much from them.

We are fortunate in Bath to have Kew Electrical literally next door to CEF.
They have poached the good staff from there and the Wilts who moved into Rexel.
They are now bringing the local sparks in to KEW and the pricing is excellent. they will 99% of the time beat any other wholesaler in the area and the service is spot on. None of this make the price up as they go nonsense either.
CEF in Bath is an endangered species. The staff and customers are leaving, so give it 12 months max or until the lease runs out.

I don't feel so bad about the proteus MCB now after having to source this bad boy.....
IMG_2117.jpg

£685+Vat :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That wasn't even CEF rates, I would have needed a larger credit limit if I bought it from them :confused:

But the customers reaction was hilarious.....

Reply to What are Proteus MCB's made of, solid gold...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net