Discuss What code does this deserve?;. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am only asking for YOUR opinion as to what code should be given in an EICR which sees a dry wall fixing box being used for joints behind a commercial dishwasher where it has been left lying loose on the tiled kitchen floor. I am thinking that it should be fixed up on the wall and inside a cooker outlet plate surface mounted in a surface waterproof box. The control switch is on the opposite wall eight feet away, unlabelled and the cable (PVC 4sq mm twin and cpc) is run tight into the corner of wall and floor unfixed below deep twin stainless steel commercial wash tubs. The dishwasher comes with a heavy rubber flexible cable pre-terminated inside the machine).

OK, so…. Without seeing it first hand I’m instantly considering quality of workmanship, suitability for the environment, IP ratings, unsupported cables….. the list is as long as you wish to argue it to be. The question and defining factors to you as an inspector are simply “is it safe?” and if not, why not?

The only two questions are:
How dangerous is this?
Which regulation(s) does it not meet?

If there is a possibility of immediate danger - direct contact with exposed conductors etc etc, then I would C1

If there isn't an immediate danger, but it would be dangerous if something was to happen - so lack of earth, so only presents a danger if there is a first fault etc etc then I would C2.

If none of these are applicable then it is down to there being an obvious rule infringement, but it does have to be a real rule, can't be anything like "not the way I was taught" or "not how I would have done it" in which case C3.

Beyond that, if it's just poor workmanship, looks awful etc, then you can bring attention to it in your comments, or as a general indication of the overall quality.

But from what you describe, and without seeing it, it sounds like poor workmanship, it isn't the proper enclosure for a good job, but doesn't directly breach any regulations.

Depending upon the situation though it could go to C2, only if its location could lead to say a shock hazard if one of the machines was to flood the area, and water accumulate deep enough to swamp the enclosure - lifting it off the floor with a piece of string would technically solve that though!

So it's over to you, perhaps pictures would help, but it really depends on the overall "picture" which is difficult to tell without being there.

Reply to What code does this deserve?;. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net