• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss What do you look for in a wholesalers? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N J

-
Reaction score
Hello,
Any help here would be appreciated.
I'm soon opening a home/DIY store, however I would like to focus on electricians parts/cables/sockets etc.

Can any sparks help me out with
1) What bugs you most about your current suppliers? What could they do better? Better Range? Better Prices?
2) What prices would you pay for typical parts eg sockets etc?
3) Who do you use? Local or Independant?
4) Is click and collect important to you? (So you're in & out quickly?)

Thanks for any advice :)

Any help here would be appreciated.
I'm soon opening a home/DIY store, however I would like to focus on electricians parts/cables/sockets etc.

Can any sparks help me out with
1) What bugs you most about your current suppliers? What could they do better? Better Range? Better Prices?
2) What prices would you pay for typical parts eg sockets etc?
3) Who do you use? Local or Independant?
4) Is click and collect important to you? (So you're in & out quickly?)
nip down to the big orange store and ask people their .

you need to price stuff up on b&q an wickes etc. then see what you can get the same gear for. then can you be competitive and still make a profit. an example i can give you is... 6mm T/E sells at most wholesalers in 100m drums, works out about £1.30/m. my local hardware store sells it by the meter@ £2.75/m. so that's good profit. on things like sockets, switches etc, you'd be hard pushed to be competitive. I'd stick to paint and associated decorating/DIY gear.

TBH to compete with the DIY stores you will need a massive range to ensure people visit with the confidence that they will find what they want. Homebase is a pet hate of mine as I've lost count of the number of times I've been in looking for specific items (not electrical) only to find they don't stock it or if they do, there is a nice big empty gap on the shelf where it should be.
I use a mixture of wholesalers, as well as the likes of screwfix and toolstation as they're basically accessible all the time. Online wholesalers have to have an easy to use website, good prices and fast delivery. For example Ive been using electrical counter.co.uk for sockets and switches to which my local wholesaler hasn't even attempted to compete on price.

Not wanting to start any more debate on the current crisis that this country is going through but how about marketing British manufactured products?
Agree but be honest English tools aren't as sexy as Wera or Wiha are they, stop whilst I drool.

No cctv.....
What? with all the Tea Leafs about, even in the Shed I have seen people ferreting stuff into their coats, don't know if they get caught or not.
I stay clear if I'm there, call me daft for not reporting them, but I did once got death threats as well, leave it to the Bill.

In the same vein....years back,me and the missus were picking some items up,at Mothercare,and i spotted a large family group,spanning three generations,and mostly in their cultural attire....

Two female members of the group,were "fitting" a quite large,child's seat,up the frock,of another member.

I mentioned it to a sales assistant,that we knew,as her lad went to the same nursery....she said,"Yeah,we swallow a fair bit of that,because of the mayhem caused,if tackled....and we won't be tackling it today..."

Wrong,without a doubt,but....i'd wear a pair of Cyril Smith's trousers,if i got a free spark-eroder,in em'...:)

Wholesalers have credit account holders. You go in, get your stuff and they send a bill at the end of the month.
I guess you’re looking at starting a hardware store.

Have a look around your local area for what’s missing.
Ie, if there’s caravan parks, but nowhere that sells caravan equipment, try that.

Why don't you try,that other hardware shop trick,of generating return visits,by offering a key cutting service,using an old enigma machine,with a blunt wheel......

Reply to What do you look for in a wholesalers? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back