Discuss What do you look for in a wholesalers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

you need to price stuff up on b&q an wickes etc. then see what you can get the same gear for. then can you be competitive and still make a profit. an example i can give you is... 6mm T/E sells at most wholesalers in 100m drums, works out about £1.30/m. my local hardware store sells it by the meter@ £2.75/m. so that's good profit. on things like sockets, switches etc, you'd be hard pushed to be competitive. I'd stick to paint and associated decorating/DIY gear.
Avoid Wickes own brand white wiring accessories, from my own experience.

Quality, reliability & warranty all at a fair price - cheap is not always good. Most importantly a response to emails & phone calls - even if its "sorry can't do it".

I use 2 wholesalers, mainly for different products or brands, then often the cheapest of the 2 for specific light fittings etc. I have stopped using 3 wholesalers for crap communications & 1 for invoicing above quoted prices.

I never buy clips or fixings from the wholesalers as they are too expensive, generally use only Toolstation since Screwfix became expensive.

I have a Tradepoint card at B&Q but don't get much from there, if they want my electrical product business then they need to be fair, why should I only get discount on what they want & not everything electrical, even a small discount. I had to argue with them as to why my Tradepoint card didn't give me anything off the normal price of mini trunking. On the plus side, I can go in & out of the quieter trade entrance.

My advice to the OP would be to concentrate on the retail consumer and to get known for having knowledgable, helpful staff, that add value.

You are not going to compete on price with the national DIY sheds, so you need to be able to offer something they don’t do well.

You also need to minimise your SKUs. For example if you are selling to the consumer, you probably only need to stock two types of 2gang 13A socket (a reasonable quality white plastic and a metal clad) and perhaps offer a screwless face plate option and an IP rated product as special order.

However, if you are targeting the trade, you’ll need to stock many different manufacturers and styles... and in sufficient quantities to fulfil a sparks requirements for various jobs on demand. Only having 7 MK and 5 BG on the shelf is of no use to the trade. Nor is promising they should be in on Thursday. Over and above this, the margin you will earn on wholesaling will be a fraction of that you may earn on retailing, coupled with giving free helpful advice.

TLC, Screwfix, etc. have a great business model, with excellent availability and the backup of daily deliveries from a central distribution warehouse. The reality is you will struggle to secure cost pricing from your distribution channels that is better than their bulk sell pricing. Most sparks now use TLC as a benchmark for price, to keep their preferred wholesaler in check. The internet has ripped the sales margin out of the supply chain for all but the biggest players. I honestly can’t see how you can make any money out of being a startup wholesaler.

I think approachable friendly and knowledgable staff go a long way. For example I have a number of builders merchants in my area the closest of which is Jewsons. I just spent a fortune on building materials sourced via my builder who won’t touch them due to cost. I also concur with him as whenever I’ve visited the branch the staff are always disinterested. Quite often you may be looking for a non specific item to solve a problem so a member of staff who is knowledgable about the products available is worth their weight in gold.

Reply to What do you look for in a wholesalers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net