• Please checkout this (ad-free) update post I've done on a spare blog. Feel free to bookmark it and check everynow and again for update if ads are pissing you off. Always feel free to ad-block them for now though if you want. I'll let you know when you can disable the ad blocker again, only if you want to see the ads. They should look nice and neat in the end.

Discuss What does 'mixed lines' mean with regards an EICR? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A customer has just rang. His daughter lives in Scotland and has just had an EICR carried out. Part of the report says 'mixed lines'. He really didn't have many more details, he seemed to think it was to do with new cables being put in.

I realise this is very vague, but just wondered if 'mixed lines' was a recognised term for something?

Personally I'm guessing it is just another way of saying mixed colours, but if so it's a bit odd.

nicebutdim

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Might be an idea for the customer, or whomever is going to carry out remedial work, to phone the person that wrote this report and ask for a translation.

Worst can happen is their nose is put out of joint, but reports should be clear in their findings.

Reaction score
Might be an idea for the customer, or whomever is going to carry out remedial work, to phone the person that wrote this report and ask for a translation.

Worst can happen is their nose is put out of joint, but reports should be clear in their findings.
I think this will mean a mix of old and new coloured wiring, I do agree though that the best person to ask is the one who wrote the report

lapsed

DIY
Reaction score
Here's the full reply from a Home Report writer who used the phrase on a Home Report I was reading:

"It really just means that the electrics in the property are of mixed age. From my site notes it looks as if the fuse box itself is ok but some of the switches are older. We are just alerting a prospective purchaser that they might want to get things checked out. It’s a common phrase used in that section of a HR. No implications for value etc."

DPG

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Here's the full reply from a Home Report writer who used the phrase on a Home Report I was reading:

"It really just means that the electrics in the property are of mixed age. From my site notes it looks as if the fuse box itself is ok but some of the switches are older. We are just alerting a prospective purchaser that they might want to get things checked out. It’s a common phrase used in that section of a HR. No implications for value etc."

Can't understand why anyone would use the phrase 'mixed lines' to indicate that switches are older than the fusebox. That makes no sense at all.

lapsed

DIY
Reaction score
Can't understand why anyone would use the phrase 'mixed lines' to indicate that switches are older than the fusebox. That makes no sense at all.
Agree, completely bizarre. I knew that the property in question had a 'white meter'/'Economy 7' arrangement and wondered whether 'mixed lines' was being used to refer to that, but no. It appears to be a phrase that surveyors in Scotland have just made up amongst themselves as preamble to recommending a spark visit.

Reply to What does 'mixed lines' mean with regards an EICR? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net