Discuss What is going here then? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So i am doing a new wiring job and all my cable is testing out fine. However the customer wants to put 2nd hand brass chandaliers up which i said could be an issue on IR tests if they are really old or damaged. Sure enough i have come to fit one and it tested at 0.96M live to neg. So i opened it up and the wiring appears to be either fairly new (blue and brown) or its been rewired. Either way each of the 15 arms is wired in singles back to the body where is was all together in connector strip. So i disconnected it all and metered the arms individually. Most tested around 3 to 4M. I removed one arm completely and it tested the same. I stripped out the wiring and pulled new in and reconnected the lamp holder. Still it was 3 to 4 M . So i removed the lamp holder and tested the new wires which were indeed fine. So i tested the lamp holder which showed the 4 M . I dissassembled the lamp holder so that it was litteraly the peice of bakerlite or plastic with two spring connections and it still tested at 4M between the terminals. I have wiped it washed it and dryed it and it doesnt change. In fact if i take the terminals off the plastic from edge to edge reads about 50M???

Any ideas whats happening here? Whatever is happening is happening to all the arms to varying degrees. The bit i stripped it down to is in the pic.

I am stummped as to how there is any connection on this part. Meter is testing other light fittings and they are reading well over 300M. It just seems to be these large 15 arm things.

What is going here then? 20181010_133252 - EletriciansForums.net

at 4 Megoms. it's perfectly acceptable crack on.

Either there is a deposit on the surface of the plastic insulator of the lampholders that your washing and drying did not remove, or the plastic is of inferior or degraded material that is conductive all the way through. Perhaps the surface is slightly porous and moisture has penetrated if they have been stored in a damp place. Try baking one out, or running a lamp in it for 24 hours, and see how it measures.

I did stick it in the sun today for 30 mins but like you say perhaps its deeper than that, i will try running it and see if it improves. Thanks.

Reply to What is going here then? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock