Discuss What made you want to be a sparky ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

All my brothers were plasterers so naturally at the ripe old age of 15 I became an unofficial app plasterer, working in Swansea and in digsI got peed off after a few weeks because I was stuck in the digs whilst the others went to the boozers,jumped on the train,went home saw an advert for apprentices(mech+elect) for the colliery and did the exam I had a piece of paper sent to me offering a job as app electrician (electrician.the only thing I knew about electrics was how to plug the iron into the light adaptor
What made you want to be a sparky ? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
)I'm still deciding if I have made the right move
What made you want to be a sparky ? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

des,replace app with apprentice mate,we will have an infux of ipod sparks soon...any one got the app to be a spark...

I think i was destined to be a sparks, when I was young I would pull things apart to find out how they worked

I was bumming around doing A-levels in Geography, Maths and Computing. Failed. Clip around ear from old'man and dragged in to an apprenticeship where he was a factory spark. Never really enjoyed it.

Moved about a little. Well paid. Well fed. Look back on it with appreciation these days.

Still don't really enjoy it though my interest improved when I got into the automation side of things.

I can think of worse careers to be in!

If I could rewind... I'd have been an Undertaker! Even though its a dying trade :skull: too !

Father insisted his two sons were not going to be factory hands like him. Brother went as an electrical apprentice with the same company as Dad. 9 years later I was offered the same apprenticeship and another with a multi national chemical company, no way was I going to work with Dad and brother.

The rest is history, 40 years on from signing my name to my indentures I can say I’VE ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

OK at times when I’ve been up to the eyeballs in s**t I’ve questioned my sanity. (Had two nervous breakdowns due to work induced stress. I go home but I still can’t switch off).
But I’ll just keep taking the pills

Last edited by a moderator:
wanted to join the army to get in the reme did the aptitude test at the careers office got a good enough score becuase i wear glasses i had to send my prescription off to them which they then told me my eyesight was to poor which gutted me then got a job with a mechanic which didnt last long becuase he got nicked for drink driving in a customers car so my dad offered me an apprentiship rest is history

I was labouring on a college building site and trying to decide weather to be a sparky or a plumber.

What decided me was one particular day when at one end of the building a plumber an his mate were lugging a boiler the size of a chest freezer up some stairs, while at the other 6 sparkies were gathered round a socket discussing what to do with it.

Yep I thought. Thats the job for me.:sleep1:

People will always need electricity.

In my mind I thought there would always be plenty of work...

My dad told me when I was 16, that he wouldn't sign my papers to join the army unless I got a trade. I asked to be a plumber, but there was no space, so I was told I would train as a spark. Ive since had jobs doing both, although only simple pipefitting, and I enjoy both.

In me physics lessons I found it interesting + my parents got this spark to wire in some new circuits and I talked to him a lot and helped him a bit (was probably just getting under his feet but it seemed like I was helping) then when I got my apprenticeship a whole new world opened up and every day was a massive learning experience, on site or in college. I thought yeah the theory is hard but that's what backs up the practical stuff. All types of cable, containment, proving on paper that your stuff is going to work properly, etc etc etc
When I qualified I thought I knew it all, incorrect, even now at 49 years old I'm still learning and I'm actually proud to say that. Which brings us once again to the Electrical Trainee
Sorry guys

It was the big money £30k a year when i started always in work clean work never dirty hands. no hastle with other trades never having to do overtime as yi always had plenty of £££.
.And they clinical phyciatrist though i should come off the pills and stop having dellutions

Reply to What made you want to be a sparky ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock