Discuss What Product/Item am I looking for? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

icecoolwas

Hi, I have a 12V 60A Powersource and I'm looking for some kind of converter which will turn this energy into 14.4v with as much amperage possible. If you have any links, name of the products or whatever im looking for is actually called, Please reply.

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to say The input will be DC and the output I need to be DC aswell.

Last edited by a moderator:
The item you are looking for in my opinion is a DC to DC converter, although I dont know exactly which type.

Is there as reason you must use the 12V supply as the primary supply? Why not just use a 14.4VDC supply?

Tom

Sounds like you might be messin with I.C.E. gear and I'm assuming that your talking about a car battery for the primary supply and the 14.4v is the max voltage for I.C.E. amps etc. Charged car battery's are are about 13.8v not 12.
Most DC to DC converters are for small currents and something to convert 60amps will be pretty brutal and expensive.
You could go down the home baked road of a 12v. DC to 240v 1000w inverter and connect the output into a huge transformer from a commercial battery charger and pick up whichever outputs suit and use the charger rectifier to convert it back to DC.

Sounds like you might be messin with I.C.E. gear and I'm assuming that your talking about a car battery for the primary supply and the 14.4v is the max voltage for I.C.E. amps etc. Charged car battery's are are about 13.8v not 12.
Most DC to DC converters are for small currents and something to convert 60amps will be pretty brutal and expensive.
You could go down the home baked road of a 12v. DC to 240v 1000w inverter and connect the output into a huge transformer from a commercial battery charger and pick up whichever outputs suit and use the charger rectifier to convert it back to DC.

Yeah, I am messing with ICE Gear. Basically Im using a computer PSU that outputs 12v 60A, Im using it to power a car amplifier in my house, it works great, but car amplifiers work best @ around 13.8v. However 11-16v is the range anyway for an car amp to work usually. I'll probably stick with 12v and try to lessen my voltage drops with a 1f capacitor or something, and I read somewhere more amperage compensates for voltage as long as the item can take less, I just need to stiffen the voltage at 12v. cheers anyway though!

Yeah, I am messing with ICE Gear. Basically Im using a computer PSU that outputs 12v 60A, Im using it to power a car amplifier in my house, it works great, but car amplifiers work best @ around 13.8v. However 11-16v is the range anyway for an car amp to work usually. I'll probably stick with 12v and try to lessen my voltage drops with a 1f capacitor or something, and I read somewhere more amperage compensates for voltage as long as the item can take less, I just need to stiffen the voltage at 12v. cheers anyway though!

You should use a car type battery as a supply, with a hefty battery charger permanently attached to it and that'll give you your 13.8volts at whatever current you need.

A 60a computer psu, wow! That's some lump. But it will be stabilised at only 12v.

and I read somewhere more amperage compensates for voltage as long as the item can take less,

Umm, I don't think so.

You should use a car type battery as a supply, with a hefty battery charger permanently attached to it and that'll give you your 13.8volts at whatever current you need.

A 60a computer psu, wow! That's some lump. But it will be stabilised at only 12v.

Well Yeah I was thinking of using a car battery charger and a car batt, but then again im only 14 so it would be kinda hard for me to obtain the battery, also as im aware when car batteries are charging they release hydrogen, and this explosive, not a very good gas in a house, and it probably isnt good for a human either.

I was walking past a PC shop, and I saw a 750W Computer PSU for £35, so I went in and checked the specs on it, wow 60A @ 12v, I then checked the protection specs (Over voltage protection, Short circuit protection, Over current protection etc) I bought it in a heartbeat. Since my car amp sucks in 33Amps @ 14.4v and throws out 300 watt rms, I was thinking of a way of trying to get my voltage up from 12v to 13.8-14.4v. However It doesn't really matter now since I can put the Amp at full power and my PSU wont shut off, which probably means it can handle it fairly well, And with all the protection circuits, I can feel in 100% safety all the time. I was getting some voltage drop, so I hooked up the sense line from the PSU, helped greatly. I think I'll stick with what Ive got now, and If i want to upgrade I'll buy a class D amplifier, But Since my neighbours have been getting annoyed I don't think They'd like me upgrading.

Thanks for all the help though, Would be Useful in the future.

Reply to What Product/Item am I looking for? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net