Discuss What to do with high n-n continuity readings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jamie'

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently in my last year of my apprenticeship and I think my boss has set me a challenge! I was at a house and got moved a few things around in the kitchen for a new kitchen to be fitted and also upgraded the fuse board so it had RCD protection.

Now on one of the rings (ground floor ring) the reading on l-l and e-e was fine but on n-n the reading was 62ish. And then when trying to do insulation resistance it was just giving a dead short. So I checked all the sockets and all was fine there but the house seems a total mess with junction boxes every where as most sockets only had 1 cable at it.
Now what I'm wondering is this down to me to find the fault and fix as I'm the one who has changed the fuse board? Or if I've read reg 632.4 correctly it means it's not down to me?
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I could do?
Hope this makes sense!

My view is the circuit has a fault on it and so you can't just put it back into service. Detective time !
I do test before, but I also tell the Customer that faults found during work will be fixed but they are extra.

My view is the circuit has a fault on it and so you can't just put it back into service. Detective time !
I do test before, but I also tell the Customer that faults found during work will be fixed but they are extra.
The customer isn't willing for any carpet or damage to be done though.

If some pre tests were carried out you would have discovered if this was an existing issue or one you have caused. Does your boss know the situation at this site.

So pre tests should have been carried out.
Now to the question I asked have I read that reg 632.4 correctly and best way to find and repair it?

It's sensible to test anything before working o

no advise the customer that there is an issue and explain time to find fault is chargeable
Should have been tested during the CU change as has been stated a couple of times, how many ishes was r1 and r2 also what was the result in ishes when you did the figure of 8 test on the RFC

If I could encourage you - first find the fault then work out how to fix it. In an hour you will (hopefully) narrow it down to "between these 2 outlets" or some such. Then comes the question of how to resolve.

Last edited:
Should have been tested during the CU change as has been stated a couple of times, how many ishes was r1 and r2 also what was the result in ishes when you did the figure of 8 test on the RFC
If your going to be like that I don't even want your help mate. No need to be a... to someone asking for help and guidance.

If I could encourage you - first find fault then work out how to fix it. In an hour you will (hopefully) narrow it down to "between these 2 outlets" or some such. Then it's a question of how to resolve.
Cheers Wilko, and the reg part of my query am I right on that?

Re 632.4 - you didn't instal that circuit, but you are about to take an action to put a 32A mcb on it ... which shouldn't be done with ring discontinuity.

Now on one of the rings (ground floor ring) the reading on l-l and e-e was fine but on n-n the reading was 62ish. And then when trying to do insulation resistance it was just giving a dead short.

I hate to be picky but what exactly was a "dead short" ?

To address your original question, Since you didn't carry out pre testing, in my view the last person to touch the installation gets to fix it...that's why we test thoroughly before hand. If such testing doesn't go well you get then exit the job with a clear conscience!!

Reply to What to do with high n-n continuity readings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock