Discuss What type of consumer box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello All, First of all i am not an Electrician just a DIY enthusiast.
I have just built a garden bar shed and have the following in place. Please see images.
Consumer box in the garage fed by the main house supply. Pic shed 5 and shed 6
What type of consumer box shed 5 - EletriciansForums.net
this then exits the garage by a fused switch
What type of consumer box shed 4 - EletriciansForums.net
What type of consumer box shed 3 - EletriciansForums.net
This feed then enters the bar shed and terminates
What type of consumer box shed 1 - EletriciansForums.net
My question is that i am NOT going to attempt to do this myself, All i want to do is advice on what consumer unit i need to buy so that i can keep costs down. The bar shed will have 6 double sockets and 1 single socket and a light socket, which i intend to have fitted by round conduit.
Any advice greatly accepted.

Attachments

• What type of consumer box shed 5 - EletriciansForums.net
    shed 5.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 27
  • What type of consumer box shed 6 - EletriciansForums.net
    shed 6.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 37
Hello All, First of all i am not an Electrician just a DIY enthusiast.
I have just built a garden bar shed and have the following in place. Please see images.
Consumer box in the garage fed by the main house supply. Pic shed 5 and shed 6
View attachment 59116
this then exits the garage by a fused switch
View attachment 59117
View attachment 59118
This feed then enters the bar shed and terminates
View attachment 59119
My question is that i am NOT going to attempt to do this myself, All i want to do is advice on what consumer unit i need to buy so that i can keep costs down. The bar shed will have 6 double sockets and 1 single socket and a light socket, which i intend to have fitted by round conduit.
Any advice greatly accepted.
By the looks of the spur in the garage,the most power available in the bar would be 13amps,so any mcbs in the in the shed may be overridden if they are bigger than 10 or 6 amp.So maybe a 10A for sockets and 6A for lighting in a 2 way cu.Hope the cable to the shed is suitable.
Regards,S

If it's already fused down to 13A then to save money your electrician could just use a switched fused connection unit at 3A for the lighting.

If it is fused you will have all 6 sockets on a 13A fuse so loading could be an issue depending on what you have plugged in.

this job needs a bit of a rethink. first you have a RCD in the garage CU, so another one in the shed would lead to problems with discrimination. i.e. a fault in the shed could trip either RCD. and if the whole lot is fed from an RCD protected way in the house, more trouble.

simplest way (and cheapest) is as ferg says, wire direct to sockets and fit a FCU (5A) for lights. bear in mind that your max. amperage will be 13A. unless you can replace the 13A FCU in the garage with a 20A MCB in enclosure.

simplest way (and cheapest) is as ferg says, wire direct to sockets and fit a FCU (5A) for lights. bear in mind that your max. amperage will be 13A. unless you can replace the 13A FCU in the garage with a 20A MCB in enclosure.
Would,nt you need a 20A dp switch before the 5A FCU to isolate the shed?
S

if the cable to the shed is 2.5mm, then 20A would be the appropriate fuse/MCB
Hi, The cable running from the fused socket in the garage to the bar shed is the following
Electric Cable BS 5467 600/1000V...looks like it fed from the double socket next to it ...see photos...ignore the smaller cable on the outside pic..that is my extension cable

Attachments

• What type of consumer box pic 1 - EletriciansForums.net
    pic 1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 29
  • What type of consumer box shed 3 - EletriciansForums.net
    shed 3.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 27
If the armoured cable is 4mm then it could be connected to the socket (assuming the double socket is on a rfc (ring final circuit) protected by a 32A mcb, without any further protective device.
If the double socket is already a 'spur' off the rfc then you need to seek further advice on best way forward.
If only 2.5 sq mm then a protective device will be required (20A mcb!)
RCD protection by one protecting the rfc?
Not sure why there is an IP rated s/fcu in the garage at all?
[automerge]1593463134[/automerge]
Think the armoured cable is 6mm or 8mm
'Thinking' doesn't do it. 8mm is a non standard size so doubt its that.
sq mm refers to the actual cross sectional area of the copper conductor NOT the diameter of the cable/core.

Last edited:
If the armoured cable is 4mm then it could be connected to the socket (assuming the double socket is on a rfc (ring final circuit) protected by a 32A mcb, without any further protective device.
If the double socket is already a 'spur' off the rfc then you need to seek further advice on best way forward.
Think the armoured cable is 6mm or 8mm
[automerge]1593463068[/automerge]
Source URL: What type of consumer box - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/what-type-of-consumer-box.187941/ That socket is the last one of the circuit of 4 doubles and is protected by a 32amp mcb

[automerge]1593463134[/automerge]

'Thinking' doesn't do it. 8mm is a non standard size so doubt its that.
sq mm refers to the actual cross sectional area of the copper conductor NOT the diameter of the cable/core.
sorry i know for a precise answer i should talk precise sizes

It does help.
Thanks, The Sparky that fitted the cables ...etc wont answer my calls...I think maybe furloughinging or something else has affected him...I did ask what size glands were used for the hot tub cabling which is the same size cable and he said 20mm outdoor SWA Glands...does that throw light on the armoured cable size ? or not ?

No, 1.5 to 6 sq mm cables all use 20mm glands.

If its the last socket of 4 on a radial protected by 32A mcb. The cable supplying the sockets needs to be established as if only 2.5 sq mm there is an issue with the use of a 32A mcb in the first place

No, 1.5 to 6 sq mm cables all use 20mm glands.

If its the last socket of 4 on a radial protected by 32A mcb. The cable supplying the sockets needs to be established as if only 2.5 sq mm there is an issue with the use of a 32A mcb in the first place
Thanks its a 6mm armoured connected to a mcb of 32a and is the last socket...as regard to radial or ring i am unsure as the trunking runs along all 4 walls and is hard to say unless i remove all the trunking tops....It could start and end in the cu as a ring would

You don't need to do that, a simple test will confirm.
Too many unknowns to say for sure, you really need to get an electrician to check it out properly.

Reply to What type of consumer box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock