Discuss What would be the new layout? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SimonCTS

Just to say a quick hello before i jump in at the deep end.....

Right i currently have a rewire (TT system) on the go and have installed the cu as follows:

Main Switch
RCD 100ma time delay
1. Internal Lights
2. Smokes
3. Exteriour Lighting
4. Boiler supply
5. Bathroom lights
RCD 30ma
6. Cooker
7. Sockets ring
8. Kitchen ring
9. 1 outside ip socket

How will i have to change this to comply with BS7671:2008? :confused:

I am a bit lost with the non allowance of common rcd`s and the smokes cant be on the same as everything else..... in fairness yeah i see the logic i dont want a lighting fault to trip the rcd and lose power to the smokes but isnt that what battery back up is for???? :(

Am I right in thinking that if you 'designed' the job during the 16th edition then you are still ok to complete as per 16th even though it may be during July for example?

I am just wondering for post july references i can finish this job as per 16th thank god. just wondering hat the new layout would be ie:

Mainswitch
RCBO smoke
100ma time
ect
ect

just to settle it in my mind

Sadly I don't know yet - don't have my 17th course for another 2 weeks yet. Someone in the know will be along soon though.

Just to say a quick hello before i jump in at the deep end.....

Right i currently have a rewire (TT system) on the go and have installed the cu as follows:

Main Switch
RCD 100ma time delay
1. Internal Lights
2. Smokes
3. Exteriour Lighting
4. Boiler supply
5. Bathroom lights
RCD 30ma
6. Cooker
7. Sockets ring
8. Kitchen ring
9. 1 outside ip socket

How will i have to change this to comply with BS7671:2008? :confused:

I am a bit lost with the non allowance of common rcd`s and the smokes cant be on the same as everything else..... in fairness yeah i see the logic i dont want a lighting fault to trip the rcd and lose power to the smokes but isnt that what battery back up is for???? :(

Well you have a few options here, I would bin the front end RCD, and assuming all your cables are buried:

30mA RCD

Sockets ring
cooker
kitchen ring
outside IP socket
bathroom lights

30mA RCD
interior lights
exterior lights
bathroom lights
boiler supply

RCBO smokes

you could put the smokes on the second RCD becuse there are no sockets on it, but it is more compliant to put it on a seperate RCBO

Note i havent looked at putting the MCB's in order, just which ones go on which RCD

Shakey you have put bathroom lights on both RCD's in your post, im not being pedantic im just wondering which RCD it goes on as im doing my first install to the 17th tommorow.

Is keeping the bathroom lights seperate a requirment in the 17th, I havent got the 17th course to do for a couple of weeks so i have'nt got a clue

Well i haven`t yet done the 17th but i keep picking bits up.. so far i see it as if the bathroom lights are protected by a 30ma rcd you do not have to worry about the supplementary equipotantial bonding?. so as far as i can see the lighting circuit does not have to be seperate i done it for loading issues ( lots of downlighters ). :D

Well i haven`t yet done the 17th but i keep picking bits up.. so far i see it as if the bathroom lights are protected by a 30ma rcd you do not have to worry about the supplementary equipotantial bonding?. so as far as i can see the lighting circuit does not have to be seperate i done it for loading issues ( lots of downlighters ). :D

ok, i would put the bathroom lights on a seperate RCD to the main lights, so you still have some lights if one goes off

if you had upstairs and downstairs rings i would put them on sperate RCD's and mix the lights bewtween them, so upstairs lights on downstairs ring, and vice versa

Reply to What would be the new layout? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock