Discuss What would you do!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Had a similar situation myself and the customer demanded action . I contacted the Nic , he was also registered with them , they said customer has to demand the guy goes back and put it right im writing or pay for someone else to put it right . I told the customer , and I issued a Danger Notification ( cover your backside) and walked away , Dont let thes morons get away with this, The Nic would get involved if the situation is not rectified[/QUOTE]

There is a lot of wishful thinking in our ranks,iDo you honestly believe what you just wrote lol

To the op
You were engaged to carry out works ,whether that be installation or test/fault finding
You use your skills and identify the problem.report,give a price and the customer decides what to do

Your responsibility to the customer to report on the installation standard can be done without recourse to becoming some type of Sherlock Holmes and persuing the culprit

You could tell the customer how procedures for complaint are structured,ie for her to contact Nicy
What action she takes is her responsibility

None of us are happy with shoddy work and the chancers that infest this trade,but we are not regulators of standards,it is for Government and the industry leaders to put in structures that are suitable for the customers and for the industry standards

They have failed miserably in our eyes to do so,but in their own eyes and that of the schemes they have done a swell job with regulation and safe standards thus far
We see it differently,but we are just the workhorses,they are the jockeys

Do your job,get paid,have a moan if it suits,then move on to the next sorry install knowing you keep standards and safe installations,even if others fall short

I take you point but if no one does anything then nothing will change.

No excuse for this . A child could of been killed, so he shouldn't be anywhere near electrics simple as,

Report him the next family mite not be as lucky

I take you point but if no one does anything then nothing will change.

I have the greatest agreement with the sentiments you express Andy.but up till now,those working in the trade have had no voice,any concerns about safety or procedures,they never seek our opinions
If they did,the shambles that was part P would never have emerged as it has

They,the government, see success where we see utter failure
Its because self interested profit driven schemes, (who don't want or need our opinions) tell them how rosy things are in the Part p garden,the government is listening to what it wants to hear as well

There is no single organisation to represent electricians in this sector, also no route for a united electricians crusade to take place ( which would be absloutely essential for any sort of voice)

On an individual level,the customer will only get safe and satisfactory installations and complaints procedure if they are very very determined and dedicated person,otherwise its just flogging a dead horse unforunately

Reply to What would you do!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net