Discuss what’s expected of an electrician’s mate? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

melvb

Hi All
Just a quick question, what’s expected of an electrician’s mate?
The reason I ask is that I’m just about to start second year of my C&G 2357 and would like to get into the trade. I would have said fetching and carrying helping with 1[SUP]st[/SUP] & 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] fix, trunking etc
But I’ve seen a few jobs around my area (Hertfordshire/ London) but they all want that dreaded experience, which is expected but some want you to have 17[SUP]th[/SUP] regs and 2391

Surely If I had my 2391 I would have hoped to be qualified not a mate?

PS if anyone needs a couple of week’s free labour to gain some experience give me a shout I have my cscs, Ipaf ticket etc

Thanks

Good tea making skills :) , But mainly keen to learn, phone kept in pocket not constanly tapping away , there will be fetching and carring , but mainly just be willing to learn, experince will come with a good teacher everones got to start knowing nothing . Good luck

And there lies your problem although I am puzzled why you are looking for experience now and not when you started either way yep you are doing the right thing yes you want experience but you are not on this journey alone the current economical climate is pushing people to get retrained as an electrician. So best thing to do is get qualified keep learning if you do get work experience create a log book stating where,when,how long and what you were doing other than that good luck

And there lies your problem although I am puzzled why you are looking for experience now and not when you started either way yep you are doing the right thing yes you want experience but you are not on this journey alone the current economical climate is pushing people to get retrained as an electrician. So best thing to do is get qualified keep learning if you do get work experience create a log book stating where,when,how long and what you were doing other than that good luck

Thanks for the replies guys
I should of mentioned I’m a 43 old mature student have been around the block a few times and know about a good work ethic, this is my last career change before I retire somewhere hot lol

The question was more about skill base and what would you expect a mate to know
could I get work through an agency and blag it slightly or will you see that a mile away?

Oldtimer; you need to create a portfolio for NVQ part of the new 2357 so you need to be in the trade to qualify, plus you could probably learn more on site in a couple of weeks than you could at college in 6 months

Thanks again

None of us would get any work done! And she would always be working on the lowest sockets!
Anyway why did you have that picture kicking around?!?

A Couple of things spring to mind.
1. All tray work
2. All conduit work
3. All trunking work
4. Mounting of all accessories, DBs etc
5. Other end of circuits for testing
6. All high level work ( i hate it)
7. If you are good, termination work in accessories.
8. Help pulling cables in.

I would then come along wire up the difficult stuff, test it and pocket most of the money :) Am nowhere near London though.. :))

View attachment 14277
That's what is expected of an electrician's mate.............
What we want
what’s expected of an electrician’s mate? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

and what we get are usually two entirely different things

Could have done with an apprentice this morning: cutting/lifting floor boards, skirting, cutting out for metal knock out boxes (and cable drops). Drilling joists ready for cable runs. Cleaning up.

Good thread for first year electricians to gain experience on site.. I retrained at age 26 and have gained first year C&G cert and been lucky enough to do some significant sparky mate on full house rewirese with first and 2nd fix. Im loving the work but its difficult to find sparks that want me in Herts. If anyone has any jobs on the go and want a mature hard working electricians mate who is already a qualified mechanic and electro copier engineer give me a shout.

That's a good idea :)

I used to be a Training Instructor for an engineering company & the trainees (apprentices) all had log books in which to record their training in words & with sketches.

Your book could be the same, but could also include photographs. The book could be useful to show prospective employers - and for your own or your family's amusement in later years !

After my Father died, I was clearing his things out and found his log books that he had during his apprenticeship and some books with notes & sketches that he had during his wartime service with REME. I always knew him to be a very well-trained & knowledgeable bloke but didn't realise just how much he knew until I found his books.

Reply to what’s expected of an electrician’s mate? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock