Discuss Whats wrong with the fan in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sheanzy

DIY
Reaction score
So I moved in to a brand new duplex and the fan in the main bedroom seems to buzz and only seems to buzz of a night time or after the fans on for a little bit.

But also can go all day with out buzzing and bam as soon as were in bed buzzes and it's all random buzzing or humming something like that

Hopefully you can hear the attachment but imagine at 2am its loud

Much appreciated in advance

FYI have had a brand new fan in and still does it

Attachments

• received_2876427545720998.mp4
    1.3 MB
Last edited by a moderator:
Quite often a bit of the plastic ducting gets trapped and hits the fan.
Or it could be a bit of leaf or something has blown inside the duct.
Or the ceiling isnt exactly flat and the big strong installer screws the fan down so tight that it distorts the innerds and the fan blades touch something.
Or.....there are a thousand possibilities.

You are going to have to get your steps out and do a bit of investigating.

PS What's a duplex?

Maybe it is me - but I had my ears syringed recently - I cannot hear the nature of the sound from the fan. Could you record it again please?

How is the speed of your fan controlled? Some pictures of the controller would be informative.

Do you or your neighbourhood have the Zellweger system of switching electrical appliances (eg heating, air conditioning) on/off remotely to take advantage of off-peak electricity tariffs? This can put a signal on the mains wiring which might be being heard as buzzing of the fan at night - is it only heard at night? You will read that it can cause buzzing from devices such as ceiling fans and fluorescent fittings- See:

Zellweger off-peak - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zellweger_off-peak

If this is the problem then you could ask a Sparks to fit one of these:

https://www.gayrad.com.au/files/ZF10-1050 Spec Sheet.pdf

Last edited:

Reply to Whats wrong with the fan in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock