Discuss Whats your view on this wiska box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welchyboy1

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Brought the sheath of SWA inside the wiska and used 60a connector block to maintain continuity of armour using stuffing glands

Really effective for eliminating leaks, only used it for garden lighting
IMG_0626.jpg

Imo superior to swa gland for water ingress (if you cant fix the box to an upright surface)

But cant help thinking its a semi-bodge!

What do you think nasty Bodge job or ok?

Please dont mention wiska gel I hate the stuff

A good quality outdoor swa gland will seal well, normally it is creep in the plastic boxes that causes leaks.

If you want a true sealed system, use a steel or stainless ip 67 box

Brought the sheath of SWA inside the wiska and used 60a connector block to maintain continuity of armour using stuffing glands

Really effective for eliminating leaks, only used it for garden lightingView attachment 60884

Imo superior to swa gland for water ingress (if you cant fix the box to an upright surface)

But cant help thinking its a semi-bodge!

What do you think nasty Bodge job or ok?

Please dont mention wiska gel I hate the stuff
I looked at a garden lighting job a while back that would have involved lots of buried SWA joints, and I have to admit I did contemplate this as a option (filled with magic gel as well). I nearly asked if it was ok on the forum, but bottled it cos I knew I'd get a kicking! I didn't get the job before anyone asks.

What problems do people think may occur from connecting the armour in this way?

I looked at a garden lighting job a while back that would have involved lots of buried SWA joints, and I have to admit I did contemplate this as a option (filled with magic gel as well). I nearly asked if it was ok on the forum, but bottled it cos I knew I'd get a kicking! I didn't get the job before anyone asks.

What problems do people think may occur from connecting the armour in this way?
Outdoor lighting jobs with up lighters buried in ground can be a potch and always have a niggling doubt of water ingress aswell as all other outside lights always a huge factor in rcds/mcbs tripping. You need to make sure that the connections are not buried and lost forever lol the uplighters have a pot the cable goes into aswell as bollard lights and all others but they often don’t allow much room for termination I smother mine in plenty of silicone in recent years and have had no call backs as yet where as prior to me doing this just by trusting the manufacturers ip integrity without additional sealing I had call backs from water getting into fittings. Potchy jobs outdoor lighting

Outdoor lighting jobs with up lighters buried in ground can be a potch and always have a niggling doubt of water ingress aswell as all other outside lights always a huge factor in rcds/mcbs tripping. You need to make sure that the connections are not buried and lost forever lol the uplighters have a pot the cable goes into aswell as bollard lights and all others but they often don’t allow much room for termination I smother mine in plenty of silicone in recent years and have had no call backs as yet where as prior to me doing this just by trusting the manufacturers ip integrity without additional sealing I had call backs from water getting into fittings. Potchy jobs outdoor lighting
My thoughts exactly

Its all very well suggesting pratley boxes and storm glands etc as an ideal solution (which they are by the way) until youve got 25 junctions to do and show the quote to the customer

I do always cover the connections in silicon and add a bit around gland threads light fitting rims and box lid covers and it really seems to work well

How many call outs have you had when a customer has spent thousands on landscaping the garden, but the electrics installed has not lasted the first winter due to crap joints full of water

Reply to Whats your view on this wiska box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net