Discuss When did they stop using imperial cable? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As in the title?
I am carrying out an EICR. The cable is predominantly imperial. I'm trying to ascertain the age of the wiring (roughly). When did they stop using imperial cable?
Is there a train of thought with regarding rewiring properties with imperial cable?
The global N-E is 1.91Mohms at 250v.
No other results yet as I am here at the mo, just stopping for a coffee and chatting to you lot :)

As in the title?
I am carrying out an EICR. The cable is predominantly imperial. I'm trying to ascertain the age of the wiring (roughly). When did they stop using imperial cable?
Is there a train of thought with regarding rewiring properties with imperial cable?
The global N-E is 1.91Mohms at 250v.
No other results yet as I am here at the mo, just stopping for a coffee and chatting to you lot :)
Why 25V test HHD?

AFAIK the change was in the very early seventies. By the time I started work in 76 it was all metric.
I wouldn't rewire just because of imperial cable as long as there is an earth wire and no green goo.

BSI began discussing adopting metric conversion in 1962 for multiple areas not just cables. I believe the British Cable Confederation adopted it in 1970. It is difficult to pinpoint an exact date because the 1970s adoption does not mean there were no pre metric cables before this or that existing imperial cables were being used after this date.

1970 was the official date but it could be years either side. As an apprentice I was using imperial cable, we weren't clearing the stores because of an EU dictate.

AFAIK the change was in the very early seventies. By the time I started work in 76 it was all metric.
I wouldn't rewire just because of imperial cable as long as there is an earth wire and no green goo.
Theres green goo (not much) and no earth on lights.
[automerge]1574687697[/automerge]
Why 25V test HHD?
Im just in the habit of doing a quick global IR at 250 at the beginning before checking to see if any items could be damaged at 500v
[automerge]1574688017[/automerge]
Also broken L on ring.
Plus class 1 lights on unearthed lighting system.
No RCD anywhere.
Many DIY alterations.
I shall read all my results later and come up with some codes and suggestions for the customer!

Last edited:
No cpc would date the lighting circuits to pre-1966.
With the broad overview of the installation it certainly sounds a good candidate for a rewire all things taken into account, and that would would probably be my recommendation.

Obviously if that was not a popular option there are plenty ways round issues if they require the installation brought up to a satisfactory level.

Reply to When did they stop using imperial cable? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock