Discuss When swapping a mains powered smoke detector in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Only the head in this case. Is certification required? (Social Housing)
What certification are you considering, it's not clear from your post if this is a property with a single detector or part of an interlinked system issuing a fire cert would show you have tested and verified it's operation and if it is part of an interconnected system that it functions correctly within the system

Various, but always maintainance. Iv actually been pulled for not filling out a fire cert when replacing a battery?
So when replacing a head or battery... I usually just press the button and listen for the other alarms. Do I then have to go to all other alarms and press their test buttons and if so... do I use detector spray/ heat detector on the other alarms?
Do I have to also remove the other heads to see if they have a replacable battery to assatain which grade system is actually in use?

No.
I would do a quick ZS quick to make sure there’s an earth and you could issue a MWC if you want, but not required.
I always do a Zs / trips if im swapping complete smoke detectors. But most of them are Aico so its ususlly heads.
Been doing the same thing for 23 years.
But now I keep hearing about 5839 part 6. Which I read and I dont see how this applies to replacememt. There ls even guides online telling the residents how to swap their own.

The Landlord / Owner may have their own specific requirements, you have no choice but to follow them.
If the Social Housing owner wanted a pink MWC with blue spots on then that's what you need to supply.

If you're an employee your employer should have provided you with details of what procedures are required by the Landlord for each task.

Last edited:
The Landlord / Owner may have their own specific requirements, you have no choice but to follow them.
If the Social Housing owner wanted a pink MWC with blue spots on then that's what you need to supply.

If you're an employee your employer should have provided you with details of what procedures are required by the Landlord for each task.
Ya I was wondering on the Zs

I'm not in the UK but seems unimportant

Why bother checking Zs on alarms ?

Its a good question and who knows!. Why dont we test neutrals anymore? Why can we swap a socket on a ring without testing r1, rn but Zs somehow makes the circuit ok. Not much makes sense IMO

I get that councils make their own rules.
But this is different. My Companys new complience manager is saying its mandatory because of 5839 part 6.
Iv read the thing 3 times now and I still dont get where he is coming from.
Il do whatever is asked but I always look stuff up and try to understand myself- in this instance I cant agree or see why

Its a good question and who knows!. Why dont we test neutrals anymore? Why can we swap a socket on a ring without testing r1, rn but Zs somehow makes the circuit ok. Not much makes sense IMO

I get that councils make their own rules.
But this is different. My Companys new complience manager is saying its mandatory because of 5839 part 6.
Iv read the thing 3 times now and I still dont get where he is coming from.
Il do whatever is asked but I always look stuff up and try to understand myself- in this instance I cant agree or see why

I would check the operation of the system when swopping an alarm

As my instructor used to say we're the trained electricians

I always do a Zs / trips if im swapping complete smoke detectors. But most of them are Aico so its ususlly heads.
Been doing the same thing for 23 years.
But now I keep hearing about 5839 part 6. Which I read and I dont see how this applies to replacememt. There ls even guides online telling the residents how to swap their own.
In the last 23 years a lot has changed, and covering your rear end is the name of the game, the paper trail is the way it is and documenting everything points to who did or didn't do what was needed when the investigtion after a serious injury or fatality occurs
Yes operation is all that common sense dictates.
But its looking like swapping a battery = full test and assesment of system all recorded on cert?
Common sense isn't all that common these days and has long since been overtaken by the blame and claim culture, swapping a battery or a head should only need a brief test that is logged and / or certified as working at the time of the maintenance work even attaching pictures as proof to any documentation all helps to CYA

In the last 23 years a lot has changed, and covering your rear end is the name of the game, the paper trail is the way it is and documenting everything points to who did or didn't do what was needed when the investigtion after a serious injury or fatality occurs

Common sense isn't all that common these days and has long since been overtaken by the blame and claim culture, swapping a battery or a head should only need a brief test that is logged and / or certified as working at the time of the maintenance work even attaching pictures as proof to any documentation all helps to CYA
This is where I dont know where the line is drawn.
You say brief test- which to me is just pressing the button on the alarm you have changed?
And if so I just note that no other testing was carried out and the other alarms in the system are unknown?
As for eg whos to say that the other alarms havnt had their batterys pinched for the kids toy...or that some numpty has installed heats throughout.

I feel like im opening a cam of worms for no good reason at all.

Reply to When swapping a mains powered smoke detector in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net