Discuss where is the regulation for must be 'suitable for location'? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Scenario...

2 x switched fused spurs located in a shower room. They are 610mm from side of shower, so outside zones. However, they could still get water on them from the shower so I don't feel they are suitable for the location. I can't find a reg for this though. is there one?

I realise sometimes its ok to install a switched FCU or a plate switch in a shower room (outside zones) but they still need to be suitable for location. I can see this written in the 'Electrician's guide to the Building Regulations', but it would be good to have a reg number.

Cheers 🙂

Scenario...

2 x switched fused spurs located in a shower room. They are 610mm from side of shower, so outside zones. However, they could still get water on them from the shower so I don't feel they are suitable for the location. I can't find a reg for this though. is there one?

I realise sometimes its ok to install a switched FCU or a plate switch in a shower room (outside zones) but they still need to be suitable for location. I can see this written in the 'Electrician's guide to the Building Regulations', but it would be good to have a reg number.

Cheers 🙂

You mean this?
1646564586991.png

The physical characteristics of such a switch is exactly the same as a shaver socket, concerning how close to the wall it will fit… which could be “not very well” if it’s a badly tiled surface.
That’s where any condensation on the tiles will run into.

So we’re back to the discussion of having regular switches in a bathroom.

Personally… I just don’t do it, whichever zone it might be in. I try to just have a flex outlet in the room, and the switch fuse outside.

512.2 External influences

512.2.1 Equipment shall be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is to be used or its mode of installation shall take account of the conditions likely to be encountered.

From Part 2 Definitions, accessories are included in the definition of equipment.

Reply to where is the regulation for must be 'suitable for location'? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net