Discuss Which ECS card can I apply for ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Matt1974

Hi fellow Electrotechnicians !
My current employer has decided we need to be carrying an ECS card to show our competences. I've printed off the Craft Card application form, had a bit of a read and am a little confused as to which one I can apply for.

I did an apprenticeship and got a City and Guilds NVQ Level 3 Engineering Manufacture (Craft Competences) Electrical & Electronic in July 1994. I then completed the 16th Edition Wiring Regs 2380 in December 2000 and Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations 2391 in August 2004. From there on, I updated to the 17th Edition Wiring Regs 2382-10 in July 2011 and Level 3 Award in the In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment 2377-22 in August 2012.

Looking at the application forms, most of the cards revolve around the 2360 course which I don't possess. So do any of our members know which card I can apply for ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi fellow Electrotechnicians !
My current employer has decided we need to be carrying an ECS card to show our competences. I've printed off the Craft Card application form, had a bit of a read and am a little confused as to which one I can apply for.

I did an apprenticeship and got a City and Guilds NVQ Level 3 Engineering Manufacture (Craft Competences) Electrical & Electronic in July 1994. I then completed the 16th Edition Wiring Regs 2380 in December 2000 and Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations 2391 in August 2004. From there on, I updated to the 17th Edition Wiring Regs 2382-10 in July 2011 and Level 3 Award in the In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment 2377-22 in August 2012.

Looking at the application forms, most of the cards revolve around the 2360 course which I don't possess. So do any of our members know which card I can apply for ?

Thanks in advance.
Yes gold card you should easily get it have you sat the H & S test yet ? why do you need one now are you doing work on construction sites ?.

Yes gold card you should easily get it have you sat the H & S test yet ? why do you need one now are you doing work on construction sites ?.

Thanks for the reply....... I'm a sub contractor working in a building facilities department within a technology centre where we carry out maintenance and installations (single and three phase items) I've not completed the H&S test yet as I'm waiting for our company to book it !

With regard to the Gold card you mention, is that the Craft card Electrician or could I try for an Approved Electrician ?

Also, where do I stand with regard to Part P ? Do I need to do another course ? I was told a few years ago by a qualifying manager that I was more than qualified but after speaking to other electricians, some of them think not !

Thanks for the reply....... I'm a sub contractor working in a building facilities department within a technology centre where we carry out maintenance and installations (single and three phase items) I've not completed the H&S test yet as I'm waiting for our company to book it !

With regard to the Gold card you mention, is that the Craft card Electrician or could I try for an Approved Electrician ?

Also, where do I stand with regard to Part P ? Do I need to do another course ? I was told a few years ago by a qualifying manager that I was more than qualified but after speaking to other electricians, some of them think not !
As long as you have a few years experience then approved I would say. You say your a sub-contactor then go on to say our company as for this part P these are a building regulations do you do domestic installations then ?.

As long as you have a few years experience then approved I would say. You say your a sub-contactor then go on to say our company as for this part P these are a building regulations do you do domestic installations then ?.

No, not domestic (so far!) .... commercial and industrial......... just wanted to know what I was allowed/not allowed to do. I work for a building services company but I'm permanently based at a site in Northamptonshire, so when I say "our" I mean my employer and not my customer !

Will your company be paying you the JIB rate and offering you all the perks of being a JIB registered Electrician? Is your company JIB registered? If there not why are they asking you to get your JIB card?

My employer is a national company, so I would say that they do have a JIB accreditation.

Because I am one of three resident electricians at a site, the customer has requested that we have an ECS card each so we can prove we are competent to carry out the work to their external audit assessors.

Also, what are the perks of being a JIB registered Electrician ?

You'd probably be better off applying for your card using the online application. It's much easier to use and faster.

It would also tell you exactly which cards you can apply for.

Have a look on there website, you should be on certain rates of pay and holidays, sick pay etc. If they insist on you having the card then they have to pay you the correct rate and offer you the same perks set out by the JIB.

You'd probably be better off applying for your card using the online application. It's much easier to use and faster.

It would also tell you exactly which cards you can apply for.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look at their website :thumbsup:

Have a look on there website, you should be on certain rates of pay and holidays, sick pay etc. If they insist on you having the card then they have to pay you the correct rate and offer you the same perks set out by the JIB.

Thanks for the info, had a quick look at the handbook ........ it's massive ! Will have a read later !

Just because you have a JIB card does not mean your competent, I know many lads who have there cards and haven't got a clue what there doing, not saying you don't know anything, it's just a money making racket in my eyes.

I tend to agree with you, it's like when you pass your driving test...... you properly learn to drive after you've passed ! I'm not so fussed with any of these competency proving schemes...... but my customer has requested we have them (and they are paying for it !)

People are so uneducated with regards to JIB cards, people have been misinformed and believe if you don't have a JIB card then your not an Electrician which is further from the truth. An NVQ proves nothing all it is is a money making racket brought in by the JIB to fleece people of more money, I don't have an NVQ as when I did my apprenticeship it wasn't part of it, I've got 20 years experience in all different aspects of electrical installs got numerous C&G quals, trained many Electricians but I can not get a gold card as I don't have an NVQ. Absolute criminal the JIB!

People are so uneducated with regards to JIB cards, people have been misinformed and believe if you don't have a JIB card then your not an Electrician which is further from the truth. An NVQ proves nothing all it is is a money making racket brought in by the JIB to fleece people of more money, I don't have an NVQ as when I did my apprenticeship it wasn't part of it, I've got 20 years experience in all different aspects of electrical installs got numerous C&G quals, trained many Electricians but I can not get a gold card as I don't have an NVQ. Absolute criminal the JIB!
You should be eligible for one pal if your apprenticeship was before the NVQ came in.
Pre 1999 I think it is before it was introduced as the minimum requirement.
It will state the cut off point on the website anyway if I'm wrong about the dates.

I've had murder with them over it, I started my apprenticeship in 98 and it wasn't part of my course, in 2000 they gave us the option to do an NVQ but no one was interested as it was more work and there wasn't a need for it. When I've told this to the JIB there not interested all they keep saying is I need to do an NVQ and I keep telling then to get to ----, it's just a money making scam, there's a lad I work with who's got his approved gold card and never changed or installed a DB, hasn't got a clue how to fault find and was looking for "the other two neutrals" in a 3 phase DB!!

Well that is not my experience got C &G parts 1,2 and C course did 16th then 17th update and they gave me a gold card. mind you got 30 years not 20 but same situation as your path.

Well that is not my experience got C &G parts 1,2 and C course did 16th then 17th update and they gave me a gold card. mind you got 30 years not 20 but same situation as your path.

Reply to Which ECS card can I apply for ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net