Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Which Multimeter? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I’m looking to get a Multimeter for work. As I’ve been told that I would need to get one. Any recommendations please?

Aico 3000 Range

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I’m looking to get a Multimeter for work. As I’ve been told that I would need to get one. Any recommendations please?
a better option would be an approved voltage/contunuity tester.

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I like the fluke kit.
Lasts for years

RDB85

-
Trainee
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
a better option would be an approved voltage/contunuity tester.
I’ve got a Voltage Indicator and Proving Unit.

PEG

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Just got a Fluke 28ii - absolutely awesome😍 depends what your main work is,got a Megger 410 and twenty others....

RDB85

-
Trainee
Just got a Fluke 28ii - absolutely awesome😍 depends what your main work is,got a Megger 410 and twenty others....
Currently I deal with Fire Alarms, CCTV using Cat5e/6 and Alarms and Access Control But I am also still doing electrical work. I’ve seen the Megger 410 which looks good. Just a little out of budget. But I suppose it’s you get what you pay for.

Just don't go too cheap , or your ohms / continuity tester will pop its clogs !
..Volt indicator + continuity = less things to keep undamaged ,dry !

PEG

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Add the cost of round of drinks in mcr...and get the 410.
It's been double handy,stood the test abuse wise,and given no problems.
Capacitance and micro amps,has also been useful 🙂

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Ask whoever told you that you need to get one which functions are required.
We can all suggest makes and models which we prefer, or whuch suit our needs, but they may not be what you need.

Personally I have an avo410 but for the vast majority of the use it gets the avo210 would be fine.

If all you are going to use it for is continuity testing and ELV voltage checks then something cheap and cheerful will do the job.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
But what do they use it for?
If its just a continuity buzzer and rough resistance and ELV voltage then that's probably fine.

I think you'd be mad to put the proves of that anywhere near mains voltage though!

RDB85

-
Trainee
But what do they use it for?
If its just a continuity buzzer and rough resistance and ELV voltage then that's probably fine.

I think you'd be mad to put the proves of that anywhere near mains voltage though!
They mainly use it for checking voltage on cables. Checking the amp fuses in alarm panels, they are smaller than the ones in a FCU. I’ve seen them use it on mains. But I would rather buy something worthwhile as I want to use it for continuity etc when doing my testing.

PEG

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
It is always going to be a compromise,in one direction,or the other......what phone do you have,and what was it's cost?🤔

You can get a phone,or a meter for a tenner...

But...if i was to spend a grand on one...it wouldn't have a ring-tone 😍

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
They mainly use it for checking voltage on cables. Checking the amp fuses in alarm panels, they are smaller than the ones in a FCU. I’ve seen them use it on mains. But I would rather buy something worthwhile as I want to use it for continuity etc when doing my testing.
for "serious" testing, you need a MFT with the ability to null out the leads. buy a cheap multimeter for what you need now, and save pennies for a MFT as and when you need one.

PEG

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Yep,and to be fair,the above,is good advice,too.
Or.....get both,and drop some other expenditure🙂 i cannot think of one,extravagant device,i regret buying.....lots of other things,but not kit.

Christmas is coming....don't rule out buying and wrapping it,and giving it to yourself.

Many years ago,i did this with a Snap-on Road Chest i ordered from the USA...it come in November,and i wrapped it in paper,on it's pallet....even carrying it in to me parents lounge,all ready for xmas day🙂

I've never been more excited....and i bought it😍

Reply to Which Multimeter? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Top Bottom