Discuss Which Multimeter? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I’m looking to get a Multimeter for work. As I’ve been told that I would need to get one. Any recommendations please?
a better option would be an approved voltage/contunuity tester.
https://www.screwflix..com/p/fluke-t90-voltage-tester/7027j

I like the fluke kit.
Lasts for years

Just got a Fluke 28ii - absolutely awesome? depends what your main work is,got a Megger 410 and twenty others....

Just got a Fluke 28ii - absolutely awesome? depends what your main work is,got a Megger 410 and twenty others....

Currently I deal with Fire Alarms, CCTV using Cat5e/6 and Alarms and Access Control But I am also still doing electrical work. I’ve seen the Megger 410 which looks good. Just a little out of budget. But I suppose it’s you get what you pay for.

Add the cost of round of drinks in mcr...and get the 410.
It's been double handy,stood the test abuse wise,and given no problems.
Capacitance and micro amps,has also been useful ?

I’m looking to get a Multimeter for work. As I’ve been told that I would need to get one. Any recommendations please?

Ask whoever told you that you need to get one which functions are required.
We can all suggest makes and models which we prefer, or whuch suit our needs, but they may not be what you need.

Personally I have an avo410 but for the vast majority of the use it gets the avo210 would be fine.

If all you are going to use it for is continuity testing and ELV voltage checks then something cheap and cheerful will do the job.

But what do they use it for?
If its just a continuity buzzer and rough resistance and ELV voltage then that's probably fine.

I think you'd be mad to put the proves of that anywhere near mains voltage though!

But what do they use it for?
If its just a continuity buzzer and rough resistance and ELV voltage then that's probably fine.

I think you'd be mad to put the proves of that anywhere near mains voltage though!

They mainly use it for checking voltage on cables. Checking the amp fuses in alarm panels, they are smaller than the ones in a FCU. I’ve seen them use it on mains. But I would rather buy something worthwhile as I want to use it for continuity etc when doing my testing.

It is always going to be a compromise,in one direction,or the other......what phone do you have,and what was it's cost??

You can get a phone,or a meter for a tenner...

But...if i was to spend a grand on one...it wouldn't have a ring-tone ?

They mainly use it for checking voltage on cables. Checking the amp fuses in alarm panels, they are smaller than the ones in a FCU. I’ve seen them use it on mains. But I would rather buy something worthwhile as I want to use it for continuity etc when doing my testing.
for "serious" testing, you need a MFT with the ability to null out the leads. buy a cheap multimeter for what you need now, and save pennies for a MFT as and when you need one.

Yep,and to be fair,the above,is good advice,too.
Or.....get both,and drop some other expenditure? i cannot think of one,extravagant device,i regret buying.....lots of other things,but not kit.

Christmas is coming....don't rule out buying and wrapping it,and giving it to yourself.

Many years ago,i did this with a Snap-on Road Chest i ordered from the USA...it come in November,and i wrapped it in paper,on it's pallet....even carrying it in to me parents lounge,all ready for xmas day?

I've never been more excited....and i bought it?

City and Guilds say not to use Multimeters because A) If you have it on the Wrong setting its dangerous. B) It can't produce the 4-24V needed for continuity testing.

On YouTube you see various video mainly US using cheap multimeters and they say yep this continuity reading is about right.

I had some cheap multimeters around but Continuity Testing Ohms they are well out compared to a Proper Megger Low Resistance Ohmmeter anyone got any comments on this?

I have a Testo 760-1 which seems to always agree with my Fluke 1663 so I am happy with it. The only downside is the purpose made case is not big enough for the instruction manual?

I have a Testo 760-1 which seems to always agree with my Fluke 1663 so I am happy with it. The only downside is the purpose made case is not big enough for the instruction manual?
I saw a video by JW and his "British Telecom" multimeter gave quite a close reading to his Low Resistance Ohm meter, so maybe some of the more expensive meters give better readings.

Reply to Which Multimeter? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock