Discuss Which regulation? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A twin and earth cable (live) enters a plastic dry-lining box, via a stud wall. The end of the cable is snipped, left bare, and the box is covered with a plastic blanking plate. (it appears this was intended to power some lighting in a cupboard, but was never completed).

I believe the conductors should be terminated, or at least the ends not left bare, but which regulation(s) say so?

134.1.4 "Every electrical joint and connection shall be of proper construction as regards conductance, insulation, mechanical strength and protection" is the obvious start, but I guess that only says that if a joint is present it must be done properly - it doesn't state that there must be a joint on a cable as you describe....

I'd consider it to be covered under 134.1.1 "Good Workmanship", but again that's not specific.

There might be something in Chapter 52, but a quick look at the start didn't throw up anything specific either

I'd agree with your view that the conductors should be terminated (in wago, choc block, or anything suitable). But have seen plenty of live wires in new builds with tape round the end that have been there for years (usually for a light that was never added to the install).

I wonder if this is one of those situations where there is no specific regulation, because it is considered such obvious standard practise...?

134.1.4 "Every electrical joint and connection shall be of proper construction as regards conductance, insulation, mechanical strength and protection" is the obvious start, but I guess that only says that if a joint is present it must be done properly - it doesn't state that there must be a joint on a cable as you describe....

I'd consider it to be covered under 134.1.1 "Good Workmanship", but again that's not specific.

There might be something in Chapter 52, but a quick look at the start didn't throw up anything specific either

I'd agree with your view that the conductors should be terminated (in wago, choc block, or anything suitable). But have seen plenty of live wires in new builds with tape round the end that have been there for years (usually for a light that was never added to the install).

I wonder if this is one of those situations where there is no specific regulation, because it is considered such obvious standard practise...?
Thanks for the reply @Dartlec . Strange that there seems to be no specific regulation for this.

It's for an EICR where someone else will be doing remedials, so I want to be certain that the report is up to scratch if it's to be closely examined by another spark (not that I would produce a sloppy report normally you understand!)

A spare wire, is just that.
a piece of wire that is not part of the electrical installation.
if it not attached to the supply, very few regulations apply to it.
a new reel of wire on the shelf is not much different .

however in my opinion, the other end if it is floating in an enclosure containing live parts, should be correctly terminated and preferably linked to earth.

Thanks for the reply @Dartlec . Strange that there seems to be no specific regulation for this.

It's for an EICR where someone else will be doing remedials, so I want to be certain that the report is up to scratch if it's to be closely examined by another spark (not that I would produce a sloppy report normally you understand!)
I would have thought 131.1 (Protection for Safety - General), 131.2.1 (Protection against electric shock - Basic protection), 410.3.2 (General Requirements) and 411.1 (Protective Measure ADS - General)

If you have a cable were the ends are not covered by suitable isolating material then you are breaching 131.1 and giving rise to danger. While it can be argued that wire is not connected at either end, it is still possible for it to become charged and present danger; A famous example of this; Clapham railway disaster - A disconnected cable becomes inadvertently charged and changes the track circuit resulting in a crash. Had the cable been suitably isolated (or better still; removed) the accident would not have happened. "But thats rail, not 7671 you cry, yes you are right it is rail by the science cares not.

That's my take, happy to be corrected.

There must be millions of lengths of old cable still in the structure of a building that haven’t been removed during a rewire. Disconnected both ends. Just cut and pushed into a wall.

When it comes to modern cable, which is inside an accessory, you would assume it is part of the installation.

Go with any of the “good workmanship”

Or should that be good-person-ship??

but OP stated that the cable was live, so the other end must be connected somewhere.

Yep... i was reading other replies saying it was a "spare"... and "disconnected at other end"
Original post is unclear about if the cable is live or not, I assumed is was disconnected both ends.

Thanks for all your replies. Just to clarify, the cable is live.

There are other instances in the property where there are dead cables left un-terminated in backboxes too, and indeed live cable ends left unenclosed. It's an interesting job, and I am now at 34 observations.

It’s one of those situations where you need to speak to the customer and say "Look, ive found a few of these... shall i just fix them as i go around? Saves taking the covers off again later."

It’s one of those situations where you need to speak to the customer and say "Look, ive found a few of these... shall i just fix them as i go around? Saves taking the covers off again later."
As I mentioned earlier, it's an interesting job, in more ways than one.

It's actually part of a large new build house that I'm inspecting. The owner tells me that the installing electrician passed away before completion. However, the installation has been put into service, and the part of the building being inspected is now occupied by the owner's son, who, I am also told, has completed an electrical apprenticeship, but has now moved into carpentry.

There is no paperwork whatsoever for this part of the property, and the private BCO the owner uses has requested an EICR so he can sign it off. The owner has asked me to carry out the inspection only, and says he will arrange for someone else to do the remedial work, but will ask me to come back to re-inspect after the work is done.

Now. I know I what I think, and it's probably the same thing you're thinking.

The work, for the most part, seems of a okay standard, but there is a lot that is unfinished. Unenclosed connections, 2 and 3 way switching wired incorrectly, and so on.

Anyway, long story short, is that I want every non compliance and observation recorded, either in the initial report, or the follow-up. Then it is up the the BCO to decide, based on that, if he is happy to sign it off.

As I mentioned earlier, it's an interesting job, in more ways than one.

It's actually part of a large new build house that I'm inspecting. The owner tells me that the installing electrician passed away before completion. However, the installation has been put into service, and the part of the building being inspected is now occupied by the owner's son, who, I am also told, has completed an electrical apprenticeship, but has now moved into carpentry.

There is no paperwork whatsoever for this part of the property, and the private BCO the owner uses has requested an EICR so he can sign it off. The owner has asked me to carry out the inspection only, and says he will arrange for someone else to do the remedial work, but will ask me to come back to re-inspect after the work is done.

Now. I know I what I think, and it's probably the same thing you're thinking.

The work, for the most part, seems of a okay standard, but there is a lot that is unfinished. Unenclosed connections, 2 and 3 way switching wired incorrectly, and so on.

Anyway, long story short, is that I want every non compliance and observation recorded, either in the initial report, or the follow-up. Then it is up the the BCO to decide, based on that, if he is happy to sign it off.
Easiest way to cover all non-compliances is Chapter 13, anything in addition is supportting regulation but going through Chapter 13 will be the quickest way to locate/assign them

Remembering of course that while you are undertaking work as either an employee or self-employed; EAWR applies, once you leave it does not (same is said of LABC when they visit), this can help compile non-compliances as you're also calling on EAWR.

Example would be 134.1.4 mapping to Regulation 10; Connections

Reply to Which regulation? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net